Notices

Double Whammy–Alcohol and Candida

Old 08-02-2011, 03:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Cause no harm

Double Whammy–Alcohol and Candida

On the road to sobriety, I have recently decided to go the complete cleanse of not only alcohol, but all sugars as well. Not just overt sugars, but anything with a sugar in it, including fruit.

Gaaakkkk! I am really in a struggle. I really don't want anything to drink, but I am going stark raving mad for sugar. In all my attempts at dropping the booze, I have never had such urges right out of the chute. To me it really pinpoints the addiction. In time back, it was ok for me to eat a bowl of ice cream, a couple of cookies (who am I kidding, a number of cookies), or a roll of hard candy. My body was saying, "It's not booze, but it will work for a bit." Now, without that sweet substitute, I feel like my body is in revolt. No DT's or such, just insane cravings to even grab a teaspoon and hit the sugarbowl. Wow. That is some powerful urges. The candida is shouting for the sugar along with everything else. Is this a component of the addiction. It is making me do a lot of study.

So here I sit, riding a bull, but this one is different from the one I rode before. It bucks like the devil poking it with his pitchfork.

But I''m goin' for the eight seconds for the trophy.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Creekryder... oh my! Same here. I have suspicions I'm battling candida myself... we'll need to compare notes

Mainlining sugar is probably not such a great idea, eh? But the thought has crossed my mind...
Old 08-02-2011, 03:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

Candida is from yeast, not sugar. Alcohol is a sugar. Stopping all sugars may shock the body.

Seek medical advice from a Professional.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Fruit...bad? I just ate a bowl of grapes! I'm ditching alcohol but no one's touching my fruit or whole grain breads!
Old 08-02-2011, 03:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Creekryder... I'm on a low carb Paleo/Primal diet lately and it helps a lot. It cuts out all bread, pasta, grains, sugar, etc. I do limit fruit also. Usually I only have berries or citrus when I do have it. Mostly, I'm eating meat and lots and lots of veggies.

Yeast feeds on sugar, sugarbear.

There are a few of us trying to eat Paleo/Primal on the Healthy Eating Support thread, btw...
Old 08-02-2011, 03:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

Ask a doctor. Unless you've self diagnosed.

Yogurt with active cultures, BUTT there are several types, so ask a doctor.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I once stopped all sugars and made myself pretty sick.

I'd really recommend you get some medical advice on your diet if you haven't already done so P.

D
Old 08-02-2011, 03:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My thought is, let me get strong enough to remain sober for some time and then I will work at my other addictions. Right now I do not need the added withdraws by quitting my cigs, cutting back on carbs , coffee and sugar. Too much of a stress to me right now. I take my vitamins, I drink a lot of water, I walk a lot. That will have to do for the time being. Good luck to both of you on your diet.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

I only had feminine candida when hubby was on antibiotics. It deals with the immune system...milk/dairy has lots of sugar. Never had it in the stomach. Again, call a doctor for advice
Old 08-02-2011, 04:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Cause no harm

Sometimes when the candida dies off, it can make you somewhat ill. I have done much research and feel this is something I need to do. I am on an extremely health-conscious diet. >SoberJennie, I too cut out all breads, pasta, grains (except brown rice). I remind myself that this is only a cleanse and may return to some of the things in a month or so. The whole grains will be back on the menu first. Fruit will be introduced next. The point of the diet is not to restrict some of these obviously good foods, but to rebalance the internal flora of the body that has been out of whack for so long.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Creekryder
The point of the diet is not to restrict some of these obviously good foods, but to rebalance the internal flora of the body that has been out of whack for so long.
Right on. Same here... and I've researched as well. I had a food blog for a while, I've been into nutrition for years. Not going to a doc about what I eat... that's my responsibility, imo.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Cause no harm

>Sugarbear, the immune system works hand in hand with the intestinal system. That is why a balance is so important. Things like antibiotics destroy good and bad bacteria, leaving heavy duty yeasts like candida to survive and take over niches of the body that have been voided of beneficial bacteria. The waste products of candida are toxic and begin to build up as the colonies of candida increase. BTW sugar, caffeine, and other substances are the favorite feedings for the yeast, the reason you cut out all sugars and simple carbs. You must "starve" the bacteria in order to eradicate it. During this process, you continue to introduce the lactobacilli and other beneficial bacteria to help push the candida out of its strongholds. Once the candida is under control (you never completely eradicate it, you simply keep it a minority) then you can continue a control by a healthy diet that relies on an 80% fresh vegetables/20% protein, carbs, etc.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
ETA

I just figured out today that my insane sugar cravings are most likely from not drinking. I'm not sure how to cut down in the best way but really need to get some balance. All my body wants to do is eat sweet stuff and sleep.

I didn't see the eating healthy forum -I only hang out in newcomers forum - I guess I should check out some of the others
Old 08-02-2011, 04:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
~sb

Thank you for the info. I don't have any reflux or loose stools since stopping alcohol & my buddy mr weed.

I have been edumacated (my little one says that).

Peace and happy travels in sobriety
Old 08-02-2011, 04:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Cause no harm

Believe me, ETA, I understand that! Read, read, then read again. Your body will try to get a sugar fix, if not from the booze, from the candy bar. IT IS ALL INTERRELATED. I don't begin to imply I have the answer, but I do know you are absolutely on the right track in seeking balance. And that begins on the inside.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Cause no harm

Blessing to you, Sugarbear, sounds like things are working for you. Keep up steam!
Old 08-02-2011, 04:47 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
ETA

I have been giving myself popsicles as a reward for not drinking. A lot of popsicles.

When I quit drinking I expected to feel great - even lose a few pounds. This is a bummer...

I have a friend with candida and is very much and alcoholic. He gets really really sick and then depressed but won't stop drinking. It's hard to watch him do so much damage to himself.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:48 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Great thread.

Again I highly recommend "7 weeks to Sobriety", which deals with alcoholism from a nutritional standpoint. Very educational. I use AA as well but this book has really helped me.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:52 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
~sb

I applaud you nutritionists. I try for healthy, but early sobriety now, will keep learning. I eat more protein and veggies, and ice cream...
Old 08-02-2011, 04:53 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
ETA

I love popsicles. Maybe I can make some veggie pops...