SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   celebrating small victories! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/233188-celebrating-small-victories.html)

DisplacedGRITS 08-02-2011 02:36 PM

celebrating small victories!

Well, I went to the store and for the first time I can remember, I thought about alcohol but was disgusted by the idea of purchasing it. I did the self checkout and the cashier came over apparently checking for booze to see if he needed to card me. Needless to say, I was beaming inside. No guilt, no regret, no hiding. Just my head held high. Even saw a cop car and wasn't worried about being pulled over and wreaking of vodka.

I'd love to hear about any daily victories anyone else has. What a feeling!!
:a122::c011:

least 08-02-2011 02:42 PM

For me, the biggest victory is just waking up not sick as a dog.:) I remember how awful I used to always feel upon waking up. I was drinking all day just to stave off withdrawals and I never felt good. Now I feel good most of the time. Still the occasional off day, but all in all, I feel better now than I have in years.:)

MycoolFitz 08-02-2011 02:44 PM

There are no small victories in sobriety, only momentous ones. Each "small" victory is like a brick, bulding a slid foundation, brick by brick by brick. Way to go! A small victory for me? Here on SR reading your post, sober and content, rather than being somewhere else doing something else.

ajangel 08-02-2011 02:53 PM

One of my favorite small victories was when I was out job hunting, I stopped at a Village Inn and sat and had breakfast all alone. It felt amazing. I was so proud of myself I must have been smiling the whole time. I have never in my life went out to a restaurant by myself. Even when I was sober

DisplacedGRITS 08-02-2011 02:58 PM

Excellent point! This was momentus!

SDSurfn 08-02-2011 03:03 PM

Getting into bed and falling asleep sober rather than passing out wherever is a daily victory.

Waking up rested and clear headed rather than coming to with a vicious hangover is a daily victory.

I've had two victories a day for the last 23 days.

-SD

Zencat 08-02-2011 05:52 PM

Just noticing my small victories accumulate is another small victory.

stuartp 08-02-2011 06:19 PM

Go to bed and falling asleep (not passing out).

Waking up and remembering everything from the night before.

This is Day 8.

amy55 08-02-2011 06:30 PM

Spilling out my last 6 beers today, and making a commitment to stop.

Fallow 08-02-2011 06:32 PM

Getting to the early evening and realizing I still have many hours left of productivity or hours to enjoy a hobby.

Dee74 08-02-2011 06:55 PM

always being ready for new adventures :supernan

:D

D

DisplacedGRITS 08-02-2011 07:56 PM

Oh! I got another. Realizing that tonight i'm making plans to stay sober instead of how i'll get a drink.

lbern 08-02-2011 11:11 PM

Going to a baseball game tonight and not drinking before/during/after the game. This is the first time I have ever been to a baseball game completely sober in my life and I still had fun (despite my team losing...)

eJoshua 08-02-2011 11:37 PM

Going to job interviews not reeking of last night's booze, :scared:

And feeling pretty confident on top of it, for once!

ForwardMotion 08-02-2011 11:49 PM

Feeling at peace with myself, I can finally stand being in my head without having to be high or drunk. It's been a long time coming.

adore79 08-02-2011 11:51 PM

When we are using alcohol or drugs we are slaves to them. What a great feeling to be able to say no to it, to know that you are not alcohols slave anylonger. As time passes you wont even think about the alcohol you pass in the store. You may glance at it but it will hardly affect you anymore than if you had glanced at the breakfast cereals.

DisplacedGRITS 08-03-2011 09:51 AM

I'm at the doctor's getting my ankle checked out. I'm showered, dressed, makeup on, accessories on, wasn't rushed, gassed up the car and WAS EARLY!! And it was even an appointment before 3 pm. Best thing...i'm sober!!

amy55 08-03-2011 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by DisplacedGRITS (Post 3058134)
I'm at the doctor's getting my ankle checked out. I'm showered, dressed, makeup on, accessories on, wasn't rushed, gassed up the car and WAS EARLY!! And it was even an appointment before 3 pm. Best thing...i'm sober!!

You go girl !!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't remember the last time I was able to do that. I mean, of course, I was sober for a Dr's appointment, but I usually made them later in the day.

I only starting my 2nd day, but I might even get dressed today. I've been staying in my PJ,s so that I don't go out.