Notices

Family vacation coming up

Old 08-02-2011, 12:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Family vacation coming up

I have been 'not drinking' with my family before in pregnancy but this will be my first sober trip with them (by my family I mean my parents. I am married and have my own children, too and they'll be there as well).

Non drinkers are typically the butt of jokes with them. My non drinking uncle who wants to live to be 100 is generally derided behind his back. Why would you want to live 100 years if you couldn't even have a pint at the end of the day? I used to laugh at that, too.

Anyway so I am nervous My sister knows I am sober. She refers to it as my 'not drinking thing'.

It sure will be nice to be able to take my kids to the boardwalk in the evenings though. Get some icecream and have a stroll. I bet they'll prefer that to being stuck in front of a movie while I drink on the deck.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My family are CIA--Catholic, Alcoholic, Irish, so I hear you. I used to get uptight, now I figure its their problem. I'm just so glad I'm not in some of their shoes. And anyway, my dad helped forge the path when he was almost 80 and sobered up. He diewd 3 years later but he died sober. No one talked behind his back.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Don't even worry about or comment on their drinking. Let them worry about themselves, and you'll do fine.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have a great time SSIL75

D
Old 08-02-2011, 05:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

thanks. In a way I'm excited. Make some new memories!
Old 08-02-2011, 09:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Have a great sober vacation! I am surrounded by a drinking family at every function, and drinking friends at every other event. I have really learned to enjoy it over the past year, and the more I show I enjoy it the more everyone else justs lets me be. They can talk if they want, I'm happy!
Old 08-02-2011, 10:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Have a wonderful time and let the jibes roll off you like water off a duck's back. They are proof that ignorance is not bliss. You have the right to enjoy your off time so commit to that like you commit to being sober!
Old 08-03-2011, 12:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My sober vacation with my family was awesome. You'll see the world through a new lens. Enjoy it.