Notices

so tired of temptation

Old 08-01-2011, 09:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Unhappy so tired of temptation

I feel so helpless about this addiction. I'm still feeling foggy almost 5 days out of my last drink and already I feel the pull again. I'd go to sleep but all I can do is lay in bed and feel miserable. How do y'all deal at this early stage? I feel like alcohol the first and last thing I want. I feels so impossible early on. I'm desperate to get to a week but it feels so far away when I can't sleep. I guess i'm posting here to keep hearing that it is possible and people can do it, even when it feels so impossible right now.

It doesn't help that I can't go to a festival without seeing everyone with a beer in their hands. Damn Milwaukee. Temptations everywhere and i've always felt like a weak person.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It was really hard for me the first couple weeks. I avoided big, boozy social scenes at first, and just kept myself busy with books and movies. Then, little by little, everything became easier. And then life started getting better in every possible way.

Hang in there—soldier on, have faith, and give yourself a pat on the back. Five days is no small achievement!
Old 08-01-2011, 09:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You can do it! Someone told me to think of it as poison, well it is poison. Just don't forget how badly you want to be healthier, happier and an overall better person in the world. Just think you aren't weak, you are very strong esp to keep convincing yourself that drinking ie hurting yourself was the way to go. Just have to reverse the thought process from drinking makes me feel good to living life makes me feel good. You can trick yourself by saying that you are planning to drink in 150yrs.

So you don't have to say never, that one always got me, what do you mean never I would think and it made me want it more.

It got me through this afternoon pretty well, I drove right by the store on my way home from work today. It's day 4 for me :ghug3
Old 08-01-2011, 09:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Thanks y'all. Reading the the encouragment and encouraging others is my antihol.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was very had for me in the early days - I'd drunk for years.

Support was very important to me - that and doing everything to keep to my commitment not to drink.

I agree with RandA - focus on staying sober for now, avoid any big parties etc, reach out & look for support - it gets easier, dG

D
Old 08-01-2011, 10:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by H3art View Post
You can trick yourself by saying that you are planning to drink in 150yrs.
Not my style, since the technique I use requires that the anxiety be exposed, but that actually does work. I recall thinking once "I'll drink in 100 years," and sure enough, I didn't hear the Addictive Voice complaining. I had forgotten about that.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi there. It is really hard, i know. It seems that no matter where you are alcohol is everywhere. I have been a serial relapser until now (and no I don't have any great time under my belt) but I keep in my mind that I will do ANYTHING to protect my sobriety -- it is the most important thing to me. Sobriety is the key to me having a life. If I drink then I will slip backwards and I really don't want that. I am so tired of it. Life gets better day by day. Keep your chin up.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It might be good to hold off on the festival till you feel a little better. Those first days are hard. I was in a detox at 5 days sober. It might be good for you to hang with sober people for awhile to avoid the temptation.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
instant

At the moment you are detoxing. That will never feel nice. Addiction works by the substance you are addicted to relieving withdrawal symptoms- but getting you in deeper in the process.

You have taken the step of intervening- if you tough it out (or go to a Dr) things will get better.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

It worked for me to dismiss those thoughts. It kind of sounds like you're indulging them? I would get them and think "of course I want a drink. I'm an alcoholic but this won't last".
Old 08-02-2011, 04:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Just focus on today. Prayer & meditation can help to get you through the rough patches. Just know that greener pastures are ahead.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I made it through the night and slept sort of well. Only one nightmare and finally a good dream. Still only running at 50% but way better than I was yesterday. Today will be full of temptations but i will remember that i' not fighting this alone. Thank you everyone!
Old 08-02-2011, 06:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm new to this so idk what I'm suppose to write on here, My parents have been alcoholics for as long as i can remember. This has really messed me up over the years, I've become emotionally unstable and now i think its time i get help.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Everyday you suffer...your one step closer to getting your life back. It's a small price to pay considering all the pain and humiliation you've experienced from drinking. That's the way I looked at it. Stay positive and stay sober, its worth it.

Best Wishes To You!
Old 08-02-2011, 07:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Kawaii-WELCOME. You will find lots of support on this site. Stick around, read and post!
Old 08-02-2011, 08:01 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Welcome Kawaii! I'm finding this place to be a great sourse of support and advice. If your home life is breaking you down, get help ASAP! If your afraid to fo right into looking for counselling, consider seeing your family doctor. They're a great sourse of information and can help you more than you'll ever believe. Your parent's addiction need not become your own. It's hard enough being raised by sober parents, let alone alcoholics. Good luck and we're always here.