Notices

Addiction + Recovery = Success

Old 08-01-2011, 08:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Addiction + Recovery = Success

I really have been doing well, my moods are better, my thinking is better and I am happier these days, I can even control how long I stay angry, the shorter time I'm angry the better off I am.

But, Something has been bothering me lately, I know this has been discussed before but I just can’t get it out my head.

The other day I decided to talk to a friend that I used to drink with, I figured I let him know I’d quit drinking, he basically went into the ‘It’s a mental thing, you just got to know when to stop’, he said ‘I’ll let you in on a little secret, it’s all in your head, just learn to control it’…

This guy’s dad died of mouth and throat cancer from drinking, I remember him going through DT’s about 17 years ago, and now he drinks pretty good himself. I just think some people are so thick!

Guess I’ll stick to my current path and stay clear of the ones I drank with…

It’s funny I was at work the other night at someone’s house on an emergency call, there was drinking going on, this one guy was stumbling and dropped his beer, the smell right when it happened triggered thoughts that I’d not had in a while. But they quickly dissipated as the stupidity surrounded me in that room, I can’t believe I was once worse than that bunch. It would have done no good to tell them I quit drinking, its better if 'I just don’t drink'.

Alright just needed to tell someone, I know it’s a lack of addiction and recovery knowledge, I totally understand why support works best with others that understand.

18 days to go and I’m 6 months dry!
Old 08-01-2011, 08:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Do you have a program like aa?
Way to go on your sobriety.

This old timer said today (34 years for him, 76 days for me) "We are both 1 day away from a drink, or not, but we both only have today."
Old 08-01-2011, 08:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Whenever I meet a particularly silly and obstinate drunk, I always try and pause and remember - back in the day, I would probably have made this guy look good....

D
Old 08-01-2011, 09:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

6 Months

Six months sober is great. I can't wait until I get there. Thanks for your inspiration.