Notices

Hi, wanted to introduce myself, my name is amy

Old 08-01-2011, 01:41 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

OK Soberjennie,

Need to look into those. My nutrition recently has really gone downhill, exercise, non-existent. I sometimes eat once a day, and that's just so that I don't get dizzy.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:52 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Amy, just make sure to concentrate on sobriety first. That's #1. If you need to let your nutrition slide for now... just remember not to be too hard on yourself. That was some very good advice I got from Ghostly and others in the Healthy Eating group

Just wanted to pass that along to you...
Old 08-01-2011, 02:00 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi Amy, and welcome to SR!

I too know that all too familiar feeling of getting up full of motivation for the day, looking around and feeling overwhelmed and doing nothing instead. It's awful! I did it for years and years...

I'm pleased to say that I've achieved so much more now I'm sober. I've completely renovated all the yards with new plants, cutting back dead trees, installing a drip system. I've retiled and re-caulked the upstairs bathroom after complaining about it for years. I've turned out every closet and cupboard in the house and donated a ton of stuff to the Goodwill. I've had a garage sale (all by myself). The list is endless...

Once I stopped drinking, I didn't feel so overwhelmed by everything. I realized doing one small thing at a time was a step toward the main goal, which was to take back the control I felt I had lost over time and be at peace with not just my surroundings, but myself, too.

You can do this!!!
Old 08-01-2011, 02:04 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thanks Jennie,

It seems most of my friends are worried about my nutrition. Then again, I have not told them how much I am drinking now. I do know that the last time I really stopped this, I had to get rid of the booze first, a few days later, I started eating better, then I started exercising.

Right now, I need to get rid of the beer. I stopped for a few days here and there, I did that by isolating. I knew I had nothing to drink in the house, so I would refuse to go out, I knew if I went out, that I would just pick up "a case".

I don't think that this was a good frame of mind either. It just isolated me more. I need to try to go out and get things without stopping for "the case".
Old 08-01-2011, 02:11 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Good thinking... getting rid of the alcohol is very important. But, don't get too caught up yet in "shoulds" and what your friends think is best... if isolating actually works temporarily, it might be the way to go. It always did for me... but, we're all different.

My opinion is to go with your gut instinct and what you feel is going to be best for you. And when I do this, it has always led me in the right direction. Tapping into the objective "you" can really help you deal with getting past the excuses, getting past the store where the drinks are, and not giving too much credence to what others think you "should" do...

Good luck!
Old 08-01-2011, 02:14 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by newwings View Post
Hi Amy, and welcome to SR!

I too know that all too familiar feeling of getting up full of motivation for the day, looking around and feeling overwhelmed and doing nothing instead. It's awful! I did it for years and years...

I'm pleased to say that I've achieved so much more now I'm sober. I've completely renovated all the yards with new plants, cutting back dead trees, installing a drip system. I've retiled and re-caulked the upstairs bathroom after complaining about it for years. I've turned out every closet and cupboard in the house and donated a ton of stuff to the Goodwill. I've had a garage sale (all by myself). The list is endless...

Once I stopped drinking, I didn't feel so overwhelmed by everything. I realized doing one small thing at a time was a step toward the main goal, which was to take back the control I felt I had lost over time and be at peace with not just my surroundings, but myself, too.

You can do this!!!

You give me hope............. I've only been in this house for 3 months. I love gardening, albeit, that when I bought this house, I thought I could. Then I found out there was red rock on my entire property, I didn't realize that when I bought the house, the snow covered it, but I do have to re-grade my property, and I can start landscaping again, just not this year.

I do think that my drinking is overwhelming me more than my house is, I really do think that this is giving me a reason to drink. I want the reason to be taken away. I have always been good at fixing things, I mean the house, not my relationship. I need a good kick in the @ss at times, because I can do this. I guess, that's why I finally decided to admit that I am an alcoholic.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:38 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
Good thinking... getting rid of the alcohol is very important. But, don't get too caught up yet in "shoulds" and what your friends think is best... if isolating actually works temporarily, it might be the way to go. It always did for me... but, we're all different.

My opinion is to go with your gut instinct and what you feel is going to be best for you. And when I do this, it has always led me in the right direction. Tapping into the objective "you" can really help you deal with getting past the excuses, getting past the store where the drinks are, and not giving too much credence to what others think you "should" do...

Good luck!
I am trying to get this, but in a way, what I think might be right for me, is to stop the isolating. Sure, I can do 2 - 3 days without drinking, but what I need to stop me from drinking, is being with friends, without having drinks, going to see my next door neighbor, which, I haven't been able to do this, he is about 85 years old. When I first moved here, we talked about every 2 days, now I just shut myself in. I haven't talked to my neighbor in about a month, I'm sure that he is worried about me. I do enjoy talking to him.

He is also an alcoholic, sober 20 years.

I don't want to discuss my problem with him, in a way, I think that he sees right through me.

My problem -------------------

My father was abusive to me, he always told me I wasn't good enough, I wasn't smart enough, and I was fat (I weighed 115 lbs)

I got married, this was my second marriage, the first one I was able to walk away from. He put me down all the time, and I do mean all the time.

I left him, and I still here his voice, about how I made yet, another mistake.

I need to get that voice out of my head, so I drank, and I drank some more.

I need to quit this, I need to get on with my life. I don't like isolating myself, even though I will do this, just so that I will not pick up anymore beer.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:05 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Ok, well that makes sense, Amy. Maybe reconnect with your neighbors and some of your more supportive friends then? If that's what you think is going to help... then it's probably a really good thing.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:17 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

Lots of good advice here already so I'll just say welcome Amy
Good to have you with us

D
Old 08-01-2011, 03:35 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Hi, Amy and welcome. I think many of us know exactly how you feel though our situations are all different. I hope all of can come to find support and solice here while we start or continue our journey.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:23 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I agree, a lot of good advice here, a lot of good people here, a lot of support here, and for me, I think that I need to stay here. Thank You all for the welcomes.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:04 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
~sb

Staying stopped. Now that's a new concept. AA helps me daily.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:16 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:19 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Thanks sugarbear with staying with me. Tomorrow will be the first day of the rest of my life. I don't enjoy what I am doing to myself now. I will check in tomorrow. I know that the next few nights, or weeks of trying to sleep will be rough. I'm prepared for this. Knowing that I have this support system helps. Thanks.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:16 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Holding Strong...

Welcome Amy. I'll be rooting for you tomorrow and in the days/weeks to come. You've made a wonderful decision for yourself. Glad you're here .