Notices

Hello, my name is... and I am an insomniac

Old 08-01-2011, 01:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello, my name is... and I am an insomniac

Yet another morning of getting up at 3am. I just noticed that I am only 1 or 2 members online. It would be nice to be able to get a decent nights sleep. I try to go back to bed but my mind is filled with so many things. I bet the only people awake at that time is grave yard shift workers and recovering addicts. Oh well. As a good friend of mine use to always say, I'll sleep when I'm dead. Better to be sober with dark circles under your eyes then passed out. Hope everyone has a great day. Stay sober
Old 08-01-2011, 01:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Insomnia is a bummer; though I only suffered with it when I first stopped drinking; and looking through your back posts I think you've got a fair bit of sober time; so it's probably different to what mine was.

A friend of mine suffers with insomnia and when he gets a long period of it, it leads to depression.

I've no real experience of insomnia (other than when I first stopped drinking), so sorry I can't be of any help.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Me too! Me too! Me too! Maybe we should start a Insomnia Club, my insomnia usually gets better in about the 4th month, as I've been down this road several times before. It can get pretty lonely this late at night, but at least we know that there are fellow recovering addicts on the other side of the computer almost a touch away

Old 08-01-2011, 04:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good point stacylove. Someone is always here. I intended on going to an AA meeting at 7am but I dozed off for an hour. That is the biggest problem. I am too darned exhausted to get anything productive done. I start my new job next Monday and it's 12 hour shifts. Hopefully it will make me so exhausted that I sleep through the night. Hopefully.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This may sound trite, Ipnangel, but do you have a regular meditation practise? I'm well known to suggest meditation as a cure for nearly everything; even achne, haemorrhoids, and belly button fluff ; so ignore me if you already do.

Only that I meditate for 20 to 30 minutes before I go to sleep, and I sleep like a baby; meditation definitely helps me sleep. I go to bed calm, peaceful, with a quietened mind.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

hi .
i have had the same problem.also restless leg syndrome.it drives me mad.
but recently i started taking melatonin,and it works great.
last night i slept 8 hours ,i feel wonderfully refreshed this morning.
it's a natural product secreated by the pineal gland...so no side effects.
pick some up and give it a try.
good luck .phil
Old 08-01-2011, 04:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

I hear you. Ivre always had difficulties sleeping. If I drink I may get a good two hours of bad sleep and when I dont drink I do sleep better but I find myself awake by 2:00am and up for the next two hours. I then wake up around 5:00am every morning. I dont mind waking up early but would love for once in my life to get a decent nights sleep. I have tried GABA, theanine Valerian root. I wont touch sleeping pills at all.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tosh View Post
This may sound trite, Ipnangel, but do you have a regular meditation practise? I'm well known to suggest meditation as a cure for nearly everything; even achne, haemorrhoids, and belly button fluff ; so ignore me if you already do.

Only that I meditate for 20 to 30 minutes before I go to sleep, and I sleep like a baby; meditation definitely helps me sleep. I go to bed calm, peaceful, with a quietened mind.
I've tried that. My mind won't shut up long enough for me to relax. It is constantly going. When I was little, I used to wake up at all hours of the night. My mom would come in my room and I would be playing at 2 or 3 in the morning. She took me to a doctor and he said I was hyper active. Not ADHD. They wanted to put me on barbiturates but my mom said no way. Technically I have been this way all of my life. Not so bad as an adult as middle age slows you down some. I suspect it will get better. I am only on day 21.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ulverston View Post
hi .
i have had the same problem.also restless leg syndrome.it drives me mad.
but recently i started taking melatonin,and it works great.
last night i slept 8 hours ,i feel wonderfully refreshed this morning.
it's a natural product secreated by the pineal gland...so no side effects.
pick some up and give it a try.
good luck .phil
I was thinking of going and buying that today. I am not much for the over the counter sleeping pills. Makes me groggy all day. I am going to give that a try. Hopefully it works.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

Write a journal when you get up. Get off computer and turn off tv 2 hours before sleep. Technology messes with natural body cycles and try exercise early in the day, meditate before sleep. Be productive-finish at least 2 tasks a day.

Alcohol does not help normal sleep, so our wires are all messed up. Private message me n i will give phone # so you can call at 3am....
Old 08-01-2011, 07:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Write a journal when you get up. Get off computer and turn off tv 2 hours before sleep. Technology messes with natural body cycles and try exercise early in the day, meditate before sleep. Be productive-finish at least 2 tasks a day.

Alcohol does not help normal sleep, so our wires are all messed up. Private message me n i will give phone # so you can call at 3am....
So you must be up at 3am also. Time zone is probably different
Old 08-01-2011, 07:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lpnangel View Post
I've tried that. My mind won't shut up long enough for me to relax. It is constantly going. When I was little, I used to wake up at all hours of the night. My mom would come in my room and I would be playing at 2 or 3 in the morning. She took me to a doctor and he said I was hyper active. Not ADHD. They wanted to put me on barbiturates but my mom said no way. Technically I have been this way all of my life. Not so bad as an adult as middle age slows you down some. I suspect it will get better. I am only on day 21.
Ah, 21 days sober; you're very similar to myself then. It took a good few weeks; mabye six-or-seven for my sleeping patterns to sort themselves out. I would hardly sleep one night and then go to work dog tired, then that night I could sleep. But the following night I couldn't; rinse and repeat.

As for the meditation, it's at Step 11 in A.A. for a reason. You need to have some semblance of inner peace before you can start. Please don't discount meditation based on your previous experience. Meditation is like exercise; difficult to begin with, but with regular practise, it gets better.

I reckon just a bit of time will sort out your sleeping problems.

And good luck, mate. 21 days is fantastic. Get some sort of strategy in for long term sobriety; I don't know if you have or not; but from my experience, I don't tend to stay sober on my bad memories of my drinking days. They fade, I feel better, and I drink.

That is until I found A.A. and it's program.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

You, florida...me maryland. It's 10:44 as i type on phone with thumb. Yeah, i also never slept well, but i sat on my butt for a day & a half. Got a ride to 7 am meeting, too hot to walk to noon meeting. Taking bus for a 2 minute rid. Not enough movement for me to sleep well! Plus, i take a nap cause my vivid dreams can often be remembered! A new "escape."

Private message me. Open invite. Bill W got sober cause he found 1 alkie helping another who understands keeps us sober!
Old 08-01-2011, 07:50 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
You, florida...me maryland. It's 10:44 as i type on phone with thumb. Yeah, i also never slept well, but i sat on my butt for a day & a half. Got a ride to 7 am meeting, too hot to walk to noon meeting. Taking bus for a 2 minute rid. Not enough movement for me to sleep well! Plus, i take a nap cause my vivid dreams can often be remembered! A new "escape."

Private message me. Open invite. Bill W got sober cause he found 1 alkie helping another who understands keeps us sober!
Maryland. Same time zone. I will do that. Thank you
Old 08-01-2011, 07:54 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I've been sleeping in sections for many years....meaning I do about 4
and then take a nap later on in the day. I prefer doing it that way...

However.....perhaps this link would be useful ..I've not tried it.

Insomnia? 42 Simple Tips to Help You Get to Sleep - Insomnia treatment, cures
Old 08-01-2011, 08:22 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Originally Posted by lpnangel View Post
Better to be sober with dark circles under your eyes then passed out.
So true lpnangel so true! Hope you get some sleep tonight. Oh and if you take naps I would skip those. Thats what helped me get back on track now if i could lose these frightful nightmares!
Old 08-01-2011, 10:07 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Ive gotten 3 -4 hours of sleep per night (actually early a.m. ) since I stopped drinking.Ive taken sleep meds and still couldnt feel tired.....funny thing is I STILL look much better on little sleep than I have the past 4 years of waking up hung over.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:24 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gibson3479 View Post
Ive gotten 3 -4 hours of sleep per night (actually early a.m. ) since I stopped drinking.Ive taken sleep meds and still couldnt feel tired.....funny thing is I STILL look much better on little sleep than I have the past 4 years of waking up hung over.
Amen to that. My skin is starting to have that healthy Florida glow again. And no more puffy eyes and face. I'll take that any day.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:13 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

all i can say angel is that the melatonin works for me like a treat..
half an hour later im out like a light
Old 08-01-2011, 03:21 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by Innerchild View Post
I hear you. Ivre always had difficulties sleeping. If I drink I may get a good two hours of bad sleep and when I dont drink I do sleep better but I find myself awake by 2:00am and up for the next two hours. I then wake up around 5:00am every morning. I dont mind waking up early but would love for once in my life to get a decent nights sleep. I have tried GABA, theanine Valerian root. I wont touch sleeping pills at all.
I found that Sleepy Time tea Plus with valarian from Celestial Seasonings helped me for a bit. I'm withdrawing right now so sleep is impossible even with that. When I was off the sauce though, it was useful.