Notices

Just Checking In

Old 07-31-2011, 05:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just Checking In

I first posted to this board in February of this year. I was away from home and only sober a few weeks.

In the beginning of my recovery I went to a couple meetings, that is two. For almost six months I managed to stay sober on my own, but the thoughts were there. I started thinking I could hava couple drinks and all would be fine. I knew this was bad thinking and this meant on was on my way to drinking again, and I didn't want that.

Three weeks ago I saw an uncle of mine at a family reunion. He has always had a problem with booze, and I knew he was sober ( he has been sober for two years). We used to be real close years ago (he is only five years older than me). I started talking to him, and asked about his sobriety and if he went to meetings. Long story short, I went to meeting with him the next day, and have been going five or six days a week since. I am reconnecting with my uncle, which is great for both of us. His wife and mine are also good for each other and get to compare notes about us drunks.

I can not say enough about how good AA has been or me these past three weeks, I haven't felt this good in years. I am meeting some great people. It is just amazing to be in a room full of people that understand exaclty what I am going through, exacly what I am feeling.

Like many newcommers, I have an issue with "the god thing", but I am not letting that stop me from going to meetings. And I urge any newcommer to do the same. Just go to the meetings, let your higher power be what ever you want it be. I spoke to one gentleman that has been sober for years, his higher power is energy. I think for now, mine is "GOD - Group Of Drunks", the wonderful folks at the meetings.

thanks for "listening"

oh yeah, I now have my six month chip!!
Old 07-31-2011, 06:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations thegoodlife - I'm really glad to hear things are going so well for you

D
Old 07-31-2011, 06:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on 6 months and congrats on going to AA. Welcome back
Old 07-31-2011, 06:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wow! Congrats to you; sounds like you are doing great in your battle with this horrible disease! Fight on!
Old 07-31-2011, 06:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you are doing well with your recovery.