SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   have to make it work this time (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/233038-have-make-work-time.html)

calico 07-31-2011 05:50 PM

have to make it work this time

Hi, everyone. I have "quit" drinking thousands of times but I rarely stay quit more than a week or two. I want this to work. Right now I don't feel like thinking too much, as I am depressed from the alcohol from last night. I will feel a lot better tomorrow, then by the weekend I'll feel great and will want to drink again. This is my pattern. It's been going on since college.

I do feel good that I've found this site and look forward to reading and learning from the experiences of others.

Thank you.

Dee74 07-31-2011 05:54 PM

Hi Calico

Reaching out and getting support was very important to me. Like you I'd want to drink as soon as I felt well again, so I built up a support network to call upon when I needed it.

I really wanted to change my life - and the support and ideas I found here really helped me to do that.

It was hard work, but I've never regretted it :)

Welcome!
D

calico 07-31-2011 05:58 PM

Thank you, Dee.

MycoolFitz 07-31-2011 05:59 PM

Yea, I think you can catch on to that pattern. Just think this coming weekend you'll feel great and you won't drink and you'll feel even greater. Glad you're here, wonderful people with lots of hard won experience. Keep reading and keep posting on SR, we help one another. Welcome.

Soberpotamus 07-31-2011 06:00 PM

Welcome to SR, Calico! Glad you're here :)

:a122:

recoverywfaith 07-31-2011 06:07 PM

Welcome to SR.

Zebra1275 07-31-2011 06:08 PM

Welcome!

I too, developed some bad drinking habits in college. It didn't seem like a big deal at the time but as I got older I still found myself still drinking like a college student.

least 07-31-2011 06:21 PM

Welcome to the family.:hug: Glad you've decided to live a sober life. It takes hard work and sacrifice but boy, is it worth it.:)

calico 08-01-2011 07:55 PM

thanks

Thank you, everyone, for the warm welcome. I am looking forward to a sober weekend. It's good to know I am not alone in this.

nandm 08-01-2011 07:57 PM

welcome to SR

Itchy 08-01-2011 08:02 PM

Calico you are SO not alone here. Welcome! If you want this time to be different, and make it this time, you came to the right place. We will be with you every step of the way.

sugarbear1 08-01-2011 08:03 PM

Welcome!

Eddiebuckle 08-01-2011 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by calico (Post 3054464)
Right now I don't feel like thinking too much, as I am depressed from the alcohol from last night. I will feel a lot better tomorrow, then by the weekend I'll feel great and will want to drink again.

That was my pattern in my early years too. The problem with alcoholism is that cycle becomes ever shorter in duration.

By the time I was 43 my version was: Right now I don't feel like thinking too much, as I am depressed from the alcohol from last night. I will feel a lot better after I am able to eat some lunch, then by late afternoon I'll feel almost normal and will want to drink again. I would go home after work and a quick stop at the package store, and down somewhere in the neighborhood of a liter of vodka. Every single day.

It was when I couldn't even get the hangover and shakes to stop with alcohol that I got desperate. And worst of all, I was drinking like a fish and never got the high that was so seductive when I was younger. I was scared silly because I couldn't stop but I couldn't physically go on any further. The proverbial "jumping off place" mentioned in the big book...

jen7916 08-01-2011 09:08 PM

Welcome calico :)

DisplacedGRITS 08-01-2011 10:07 PM

Welcome, Calico. I'm new here and just a few days off the drink and feel the same temptaion. I am finding that posting here today and tonight has gotten me through so far. So far, i'm planning on using this site for distraction and hope. Also, encouraging others seems to help me. Stick around, accept the advice and encouragement and return some as you wish.

Fenris 08-02-2011 08:49 AM

Welcome to SR, Calico.

calico 08-05-2011 07:23 PM

Thank you all for the welcome and the words of encouragement. I hope as time goes on I will be able to help others. But for now, making it through the weekend is my goal, and so far, so good. :thanks

coffeenut 08-05-2011 08:26 PM

Don't worry about making it through the weekend. Just make it through the moment.

Welcome to SR.