Notices

Just the thought of not drinking

Old 07-31-2011, 11:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just the thought of not drinking

Just the thought of it makes me feel like I'm having withdrawels. It has only been 15 hours. Is this par for the course?
Old 07-31-2011, 11:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This course has different pars for each of us. I used to get the shakes thinking about withdrawal. If you've been a heavy user check with your doctor. Withdrawal is a medical condition and a serious one. Don't think only 15 hours, rather already 15 hours. We start recovery moment by moment by moment, it all adds up. All my best in your efforts.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thanks

Thanks, Fitz. That is a very positive way to look at it.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

15 hours of sobriety

Great job makemyday
Old 07-31-2011, 12:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was thrilled to get to 15 hours when I decided to get sober! Hang in there makemyday. Don't worry about tomorrow...just get through the day.

Best Wishes To You!
Old 07-31-2011, 12:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Good for you! I agree with Fitz - it's a moment by moment thing at first, telling yourself you can stay sober the next 5 minutes and just focusing on that. For sure, you're probably having withdrawals (anxiety is a part of that). Just stay in the moment as much as you can and don't get wrapped up in what the alcoholic voice is telling you.

The first couple days can seem really long. I treated myself like I had the flu and stayed in bed with my laptop and the TV on. Drink lots of water, get some vitamin B-complex (and a multi-vitamin). Don't let yourself get too hungry - we're used to having all that sugar in alcohol, so when our blood sugar drops it produces a craving. So eat whatever you want. Be good to yourself....

Here's to 16 hours......:ghug3
Old 07-31-2011, 12:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Holding Strong...

For me, not drinking felt like telling myself to cut my own arm off. Drinking felt natural and was a part of my daily life - why would I purposely take away something that was "helping me" function/cope everyday?

The only thing that helped me the first day or two was coming on SR (where I read someone's post that said 'I'm not going to drink, today') and reading about withdrawal symptoms and how to cope with them. I honestly had no clue what could happen by going cold turkey; I just woke up, hungover after a night of drinking and said, 'enough is enough'. After years of knowing I had a problem but continuing to drink everyday, I was sick and tired of it and realized it wasn't "helping me" at all...it was actually just killing me. Now, Im 22 days in and getting stronger in my decision to live sober every single day.

If nothing else, just focus on today. If that's too daunting, try an hour...or 15 minutes...and commit to not drinking for that time period alone. You can do it and we're all here to help. Stay strong! :ghug3
Old 07-31-2011, 03:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR makemyday
I think it's rough for a lot of us...the first day was horrendous for me.
I stayed on here a lot...mostly reading.

I read your other thread too - I hope you will see a Dr. - it's the best option, I think

D
Old 07-31-2011, 04:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's normal to feel a lot of anxiety when you finally stop drinking. Good for you for 15 hours of sobriety!
Old 07-31-2011, 05:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

How great you are sober...keep reading and posting...take it one day at a time. Have you considered additional support such as AA?
Old 07-31-2011, 05:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Withdraws can start only several hours after your last drink. There is life after alcohol. Detox is scary but you can do it. Welcome to SR
Old 07-31-2011, 05:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It's my second day of being sober. Hang in there and let's make the 15 hours to 15 days to 15 weeks to 15 months . . .