Notices

Can't believe this

Old 07-31-2011, 10:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Can't believe this

Ive been drinking for years, but 2 nights ago I stayed out drinking until 5am; I woke up sweaty, anxious, doomy, shaky. I felt like I was going to lose my mind. I figured it was just a hangover so I felt no other choice except to hair of the dog it. 5-6 drinks later I was feeling perfect again with 6-10 of the course of the night.

This morning doom and anxiety was there the instant I woke up; I felt light headed and out of my body. I knew I have a problem then so I called my friends dad who used to be there worst alcoholic I've ever heard of but he was been sober 20 years now. He talked to me on the phone for a long time explained what I was going through, and told me to drink a few beers; ween off and see a doctor tomorrow.

This is such a terrible feeling mentally, now I'm drinking a beer before I've even eaten for the day just so I feel sane again.

It just hit me overnight, never thought it would like this, never thought I drank enough. Terrible feeling, but at least alcohol us my only drug and I've used it as a crutch for shyness.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome, and alcohol is one drug too much. Sounds like its a problem in your life right now and probably a bigger one than shyness. Glad you reached out for help but you might want to contact your doctor. Drinking beer to level off is just postponing the inevitable. In any case, thanks for the post and I wish you the best.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think it takes a wake-up call for many of us to realize we have a drinking problem.

Problem with me was, I ignored them for another ten miserable years.
Glad you had your friend to call. You never have to drink and go through this again.

Best to you.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

You crossed over to jitters (alcohol withdrawal) into morning drinking.

Glad you are stopping Before it gets worse (and it Will get worse)

Good luck with doctor and You CAN do this!
Old 07-31-2011, 10:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah I had the same kind of problem. I would wake up anxious and out of it. It was bad when I was shaking as I took my first few shots. Trust me you wanna get away from that. I'm 47 days clean now, and I feel so much better. If you have the chance to take a doctors help, I would go with that. I myself have no insurance. So I did it on my own. I later learned that, that can be dangerous. Do what you think is best for you. Good luck to you.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Holding Strong...

You're taking the right steps by reaching out for help. You'll find tons of support, help, and info here, but you def need to talk to your dr before stopping completely. Once you're sober, it's easy to fall back into the thoughts that "maybe it's not as bad as I thought?". It may or may not be, but only you know for sure. Good luck and hope you'll stick around SR!
Old 07-31-2011, 11:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigguyslimm View Post
Yeah I had the same kind of problem. I would wake up anxious and out of it. It was bad when I was shaking as I took my first few shots. Trust me you wanna get away from that. I'm 47 days clean now, and I feel so much better. If you have the chance to take a doctors help, I would go with that. I myself have no insurance. So I did it on my own. I later learned that, that can be dangerous. Do what you think is best for you. Good luck to you.
How did you do it, by tapering off. I honestly feel like I wouldn't survive without beer at this point; I just can't believe it came out of no where. I never had morning tremors like I've seen others have; so the warning signs were not there.

I am 6-7 beers into the day, still haven't eaten but I finally can maintain thoughts and feel normal again.

I've always taken for granted feeling normal.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ghostlight View Post
I think it takes a wake-up call for many of us to realize we have a drinking problem.

Problem with me was, I ignored them for another ten miserable years.
Glad you had your friend to call. You never have to drink and go through this again.

Best to you.
This feeling isn't something I can ignore, how did you? How did you function at work and drive? How did you get out of bed?
Old 07-31-2011, 12:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

remember....
if you dont change direction you will likely end up where you are headed?
not a good road to be on my friend.
this is probably a good wake up call for you.....heed the warning.
good luck
Old 07-31-2011, 12:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Bman - I had those days, too. The anxiety was always the worst - I used to call it the "inner shakes." It was really hard to wait until late afternoon to get the relief from a few drinks. As you said, it's about just feeling "normal" at that point. Such a vicious cycle.

When I decided to stop drinking, I did taper with beer for a couple of days, but it's not easy because once we have a couple drinks, we always want just one more and before we know it, we're back at square one.

Seeing a doctor is a good idea. The sooner you get the alcohol out of your system, the better. We're here for you.....:ghug3
Old 07-31-2011, 01:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Been there, done that, and would be dead today if I hadn'r quit, no doubt about that. And I have some lasting medical problems that are much easier to deal with alive and especially sober.

How did I do it and quit smoking at the same time? I checked into a 7 day in hospital detox at the VA. Got out and got into AA, counseling, working with my doc, and family. I have more than ten months now sober and won't be having any relapses. For me that would mean slow suicide, and I am not suicidal.

Do what you have to, to do what you want to.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I didn't do the tapper off. I just quit cold turkey. Believe me I paid for it. I got really sick and bad anxiety. If you are having tremors, I would try to see a doctor.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Shape-Shifting Super-Hero

Hey there, and welcome. It sounds like you're in a scary place, but it does and can get better. I was always a binge drinker, I'd drink heavy one night, then go 3 to 5 days with no drinks, then get wasted, wash, rinse, repeat. So I never had too many physical symptoms, but was worried I was headed in that direction, so decided to jump off the crazy train before I went totally off the rails!

I would suggest seeing a Dr. They can help you detox with the help of medications in a safe, controlled environment...then, well...the rest is up to you, and the work you do to stay sober.

Nice to see you here, and wishing you the best.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I've had 8-9 beers since I posted this thread today. I finally feel great, I cant believe how many beers it took to take the anxiety away. I just ate a huge meal and drinking water now. I wish I could go to bed completely sober tonight; sleep soundly and feel great without drinking in the morning. We will see, I'm not looking forward to going to bed though.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Bman, sounds like you might need the help of medical professionals in case you decide you want to detox. I don't have any experience with the shakes, but others here do... and they will tell you to seek help from doctors and professionals just to be safe. You can die from alcohol withdrawal
Old 07-31-2011, 03:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Shape-Shifting Super-Hero

Originally Posted by Bman View Post
I've had 8-9 beers since I posted this thread today. I finally feel great, I cant believe how many beers it took to take the anxiety away. I just ate a huge meal and drinking water now. I wish I could go to bed completely sober tonight; sleep soundly and feel great without drinking in the morning. We will see, I'm not looking forward to going to bed though.
Well, when you wake up, is there anyway you can see a Dr.? Maybe call a friend, and have them take you? Somehow, I feel this might be best, here, to help stop the cycle, and get to the point you can adress things without the physical symptoms getting in the way. But then, the work is up to you.

Again, good luck, here.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Bman

Unfortunately the more you drink those beers to feel good the more you lock yourself into the cycle of needing the beer to feel good.

I also suggest you see a Dr ASAP - some of us have trouble with detox...it's best to be safe.

Be honest with the Dr - get help and break the cycle.

I know it's scary - almost inconceivable - but everyone here has been where you are - it can be rough making the transition but there is support here...

there is life on the other side - and it's good

D
Old 08-01-2011, 07:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I saw a doctor today, she said I'm healthy and have perfect vitals, and I need to ween off. I felt almost normal after that until I read the Amy Winehouse story about her doctor said she was healthy and ween off. I got severe anxiety, on beer 4 planning to stop on beer 5 and go to bed, if I can. Trying to sleep last night was terrifying.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:31 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Holding Strong...

Bman- Hope you get some restful sleep tonite.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:41 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I worry about a Dr. who recommends that you wean off on your own. Even if your physically healthy, your mentally in need of health. Alcohol is not a drug to be prescribed. Therapy, be it prescription or talk is the only way. You don't have to go it alone. Start looking for a therapist. Shop around until you fine someone you feel comfortable with. I am shy as well but I know deep down it's the only way.

You may feel alone but you are not.