Notices

struggling settling into new town

Old 07-30-2011, 11:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

struggling settling into new town

I have just moved to a remote part of NZ I have enjoyed my first weeks work but I have no friends here yet. I know I need to start putting myself out there I am going to start by making an AA meeting. Have not been able to go out an explore this weekend because I am sick. It seems like everything in this town revolves around drinking! Does anyone have any advice about moving to a new town.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think any move needs a little time to readjust, Cairns.

Volunteering was a great way for me to get involved in my new community - is there anything like that there?

D
Old 07-31-2011, 12:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

great idea Dee.. Yes there is not too much stuff advertised around have not seen any volunteer opportunities but im sure if I find somewhere I liked they would be happy to have my services! Hopefully the AA meeting goes well tomorrow
Old 07-31-2011, 01:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

best of luck in your new surrounds Cairns

D
Old 07-31-2011, 02:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Awesome NZ sounds great, I wish I could live there and be your friend Meetings do sound like a good start, you will definitely meet some friends there. Also check into taking classes, I have met many of my friends at school. Do they have a community recreational center? You can sign up for some leagues? Check your local community paper too, and bring some food or gifts to your neighbors. You will meet people don't worry about it, it takes time. Don't you wish it was as easy as when we were little and you could join someone in the sandbox and say, "Want to be my friend?" Why can't we be like that as adults? And don't forget to come on here, for you will always have your cyber buddies.
<3 Stacy
Old 07-31-2011, 05:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Volunteering saved me too, Cairns. I moved to a new city in week 1 of my recovery and English was not the first language. My HP showed me the way to a volunteer opportunity that changed my life.