Notices

3 Days and 16 minutes....

Old 07-30-2011, 09:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

3 Days and 16 minutes....

Hi guys, I wanted to let you know that I have been able to go three days without nursing the bottle every couple of hours. I got my tire fixed yesterday and went to see my son at camp today, I was able to take him blueberry picking and walk around the camp with him. He is so sweet he said I have been writing letters to my Dad, but he doesn't write back, so I told him that he can write me too and I will write him back. I am also excited to send him a care package next week. It was kind of funny for me to hear that 1 day at camp felt like a week, I guess it just goes to show what too many hours of different media such as TV or video games can do to a person. It is similar to alcohol, etc addiction. You plop down in front of the TV, pickup a bottle, a pill, a pipe and totally loose yourself (I guess unless you are watching NOVA unintoxicated) for how ever many hours, you have a hard time getting up and are at a loss as to what constructive things (that are fun or funish) that you could do that everything else becomes a chore. Anyway it was just a thought and I have been thinking a lot about what my alcoholism is and how I can ultimately conquer it's power of persuasion in my head. I have come up with some thoughts about myself and my own behaviors.

I don't have a very good day to day balance in my life. If i am not obsessing over one thing it's another, than I get bogged down by everything else that I have to do and then I think oh wouldn't it be nice to have a drink to get over this feeling of self doubt and self pity because there just plain isn't enough time in the day anyway.

I have never learned to deal with my emotions, I used to always bottle them up, I am becoming more comfortable with talking about them, but talking has not proved very effective for me. I have to find another way to deal with them.

I recently had a reiki treatment and was told that my spiritual center is completely shut. So, I guess I should work on that.

Guess that is it for now, I am grateful for my son and that I was given the power to stay sober for the last couple of days so that I could see him today and wasn't just a no show.

And I am grateful for all of you here that have posted, read and talked to me.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Ha3rt

Welcome to SR - I really hope the past few days can be the start of something good for you.

D
Old 07-30-2011, 10:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

3 daze and more minutes now--it adds up (to a life) Way to go. You mentioned thinking it'd be nice to have a drink to get over feelings of self-doubt and self-pity. I used to think that now I realize I didn't get over them, just postponed them and enlarged them and they were waiting for me when I sobered up. Thanks for your nice share and keep up the good work.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah Fitz, I think you are right on that one. Drinking has postponed a lot of things for me such as spiritual development, amung other things
Old 07-30-2011, 10:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Forward is the correct direction...not drinking is a good beginning on getting so many things sorted out...

Be gentle with yourself....it takes time to find balance
Old 07-31-2011, 02:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
instant

step by step. Minute by minute. It's the way to go.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

24 hours a day is the speed i travel! keep it up!!!!
Old 07-31-2011, 02:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hiya H3, Congratulations on your sober time Watching TV is all I did the first week of recovery, besides that fact that I couldn't move, reality show marathons helped keep my mind off the drugs, except during commercials. Reiki treatments sound fun, what do they do exactly? Camp will start going faster once your son makes friends, too bad they didn't have clean and sober camps for us, that might be kind of fun. You can always talk to us on here, H3 and we won't pass judgement. Good luck to you.
<3 Stacy
Old 07-31-2011, 09:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I'm so glad you had a nice day with your son! A great reward for sticking to your plan

I love the idea of a clean and sober camp-that would be fun!
Old 07-31-2011, 09:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

13 hours

Thank you for your post. It is an inspiration to me. It has been 13 hours for me. I will remember your 3 days and 16 minutes.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

I napped a lot. Can't drink and sleep!
aa speakers are free online audio "tapes
aa online charoom
Read alcoholics anonymous online
Get to a meeting - many types available, I choose aa
Sponsor
Networking
Sober events & activities
Pray
Exercise
Draw or color or start a hobby
I own Legos
Play with dog, cat or other pet
Be and play with children or grandchildren
Healthy baking
Read
Lots of substitutions
O, cleaning house (it was neglected)
Old 07-31-2011, 10:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congrats on you 3 days. Stay strong and good luck.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Congratulations on 3 days - or is it 4 now? I think it's wonderful that you were able to go to your son's camp. I know drinking in the final couple of years interfered with my involvement in life, and my kids were affected. I did the minimum I needed to do to be what I thought was a good mom.

Contrast that with today, and even though I'll never be Miss PTA, I can make plans and not only enjoy things, but I can count on myself actually showing up. I'm more involved with family. I don't resent the constant interruptions from my daughter. I guess it's not that hard when you feel good and drinking isn't the center of life anymore!....

Keep taking things one day at a time and remember you don't have to have it all figured out right now. I can totally relate to your statement about achieving balance, obsessing, overwhelming yourself. I over-thought everything. A counselor in treatment once told me I needed to just "be." It was good advice. You're only 3/4 days in, so keep it simple, easy does it.... you're doing great!:ghug3