Notices

I'm not sure

Old 07-31-2011, 08:39 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
~sb

I wish you many years of sober living!

When I was 25, I went to AA. I thought I was better & smarter than them. I could not relate. I had not yet experienced what they had done.

My list of NOT YETS was as long as Santa' List of Good Girls & Boys.

I didn't LIKE the God talk or that of spirituality.

I wanted to keep "partying" and having a "good time."

Ha ha ha. The joke was on me and I was the prankster. Guess what?!

25 years later, I can't believe I am 50. Where did the time go? I feel 22, But my list of NOT YETS includes ONLY A HANDFUL OF ITEMS.

What??!! They said these things Can and Will happen. And they did
I along with my Higher Power have 75 days sober.

Listen with an Open Mind. Plase don't follow my stubborn behavior. My list of They Were Not Yets But I Did These To Myself reads like a Horror Story!

I wish you many years of Sober Living!
Old 07-31-2011, 08:52 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 View Post
The reason I'm not sure is because I have not lost anything,

YET

(YET = You're Eligible Too)
I have not been fired YET
I have not gotten a DUI YET
I have not been hospitalized YET
I have not gone to jail YET
I have not lost my family YET
I have not been homeless YET
I have not been Institutionalized YET
I have not died from this disease YET
Old 07-31-2011, 09:14 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
~sb

Boleo, that WAS me, for a minute, got fired, lost family, been homeless, lost Career (not just a job, lost jobs, too), the rest is my Not Yets Today.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:40 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
ETA

Originally Posted by Imnotsure View Post
Hello all. I'm a 29 yr old female who thinks I might have an unhealthy relationship with alcohol. I love my wine and drink a bottle of wine probably 4-5 days a week. It settle my brain and my thoughts and allows me to relax, have some fun and get a good nights rest. The reason I'm not sure is because I have not lost anything, have a great job that I excel at, a beautiful home, and when I hear about all the things that usually happen to an alcoholic I question if my behavior is an issue at all. My mother is a raging alcoholic that I tried to save my entire childhood. It would be my worst nightmare to end up like her. Today is 5 days for me but even seeing a glass of wine on tv makes me really want to run to the store for a bottle of my fav. My biggest struggle is not no drinking, it's thinking 'why not'? It's a short life and I should have fun. Any thoughts??
I assume you mean 1 bottle per night - not 1 bottle over 4 or 5 nights. Do you drink on the other nights? I don't have any stats but I would guess most people don't drink that much nor do they notice if they don't drink for a few days.

I'm going to add in the same as others. When I was 29 I only drank a few nights a month (to blow off steam, relax, be social etc.) - I didn't even keep alcohol in my house. I did plenty of stupid things but infrequently. Flash forward 5 years and I'm drinking every day. Add in another 5 years and I'm drunk several times a week and starting to black out etc.

I hadn't hit rock bottom - I was on my way. I am very thankful that I didn't have to before I came to the realization that I can not control myself.

I wish wish wish I could have figured it out 11 years ago... or more.

What really changed it for me was reading all the posts on this forum about "moderation" and attempts to control the drinking.

Two things specifically:
1. Someone here said a person with a problem can never moderate/control their drinking and a normal person doesn't have to try.
2. It's a lot easier to not drink at all than to try to moderate.

#2 was a biggie that I had never thought about. After years of trying to moderate with ZERO success this really hit home.

After 39 days not drinking I can say that #2 is very very true.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:41 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

an alcoholic?

I read somewhere that an alcoholic is someone who is thinking about having a drink or thinking about not having a drink.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:55 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
~sb

100 people of diverse backgrounds are in a room...out of that, 6 (or 6%) become Alcoholics, the 94% Know they aren't.

The 6% will Swear they are part of the 94%!