Notices

SR addiction

Old 07-30-2011, 06:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

SR addiction

I find myself on SR more then I should be. I have become obsessed with coming on this site checking how everyone is doing. I spend an ungodly amount of time on here. I need to start limiting my time here and start having a "real" life. Anyone else feel as though they have an SR addiction?
Old 07-30-2011, 06:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There is nothing wrong with frequent stops if it is helping you. As long as you aren't taking off from work to sit and read.
I believe that you are needing it right now...in time it will lessen...but right now I wouldn't worry about it.
I was here 24/7 in the beginning and have lessened my time due to real life factors.
I look at it this way...I'd rather spend my time here than spend my time drinking.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
On my way....

Yep, lpn, I stay here constantly, and when I'm on any break at work, including smoke breaks I log on through my phone. Someone here said something to the effect of how much ever time you spent drinking/drugging including recovering from hangovers, and thinking about drinking, is how much time you should put into your recovery. I don't know about you, but that was an all day thing when you factor in the weed. So, I'm actually doing pretty good with the time I spend here. lol Keep on posting and reading, I don't think it's time wasted, it's an investment towards your future.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey, there are worse addictions and anyway I don't think its an addiction. Its like suddenly craving a particular food and for awhile you can't get enough of it. Your body saying you have a partcular nutrient need or whatever you need to fill. You're replacing something you valued very much--your DOC, and now you're attempting to fill the void. Just go with your gut. Maybe you'l be drawn to SR a lot and then later, who knows. I know when I cut myself off from SR and some other stuff the relapse quickly followed. I was setting up. Don't sweat it, enjoy it and your sobriety.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi. I'm from the F&F side of this forum but the title of this thread caught my eye. And yes, I am on here constantly checking and rechecking for updates etc. And yes, I am starting to worry about it.

I hope that I am on here to continue to learn and grow. I fear I am on here the same way people watch reality t.v.

I am having some good "aha" moments and there are things I take away to mull over, so I guess it's still a good thing. But after a few days, if I stop having aha's and am still checking in constantly, I guess it would be wise to restrict my time.

Congratulations to all on your sobriety! If wishes were horses my AH would be on that ride.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

LP--I agree with someone above who said that quitting SR preceded relapse for him (or her). I know that's true. Also, the idea of spending as much time as you used to spend thinking about or regretting drinking on your recovery is the way to go.

I have never in my adult life (after my children were small) been consistently sober without SR. Do the math. Every evening when I know there might be a risk I check SR. It often (but not always) works.

Also, I learn something every time I am on here for a while. Sometimes I relearn things I already knew--but obviously if I need to be SR relearning is something I need to work on. It is good to hear the same thread over and over. It's good because it validates our own problems.

I always love to hear from you. Stay here.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That is sweet. I appreciate a familiar face when I'm on here all day as well! I thought after a week i was on here too much and thought I'd take a break but don't imagine I'll be doing that anytime soon. I have noticed though that I'm on here rather than being productive. Oh well
Old 07-30-2011, 10:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

I have about 60+ posts in less than a week. Been around AA 25+ years

I finally surrendered 75 days ago, worked 12 steps as in back to basics in 2 days, get to 1-3 meetings daily (I get lonely, so I'm reconnecting and hanging out with sober people and activities). I work with a sponsor and suggest to people to do what I am doing.

I am unemployed, carless, and yet all my needs are met. I am at peace. I know my employment will come. Life is good. I have no desire to drink or use and I can tolerate my loud neighbors when they puff puff pass every few hours on their balcony. Yeah, I think I'll stick with SR and aa online (only phone internet at home). Life, it's worth LIVING SOBER. Yes, I have gained 7 pounds. Balancing takes practice, the pounds will go (I can't afford new clothes, yet!).

Hang with us! If it's too much, change it! Have faith. Love, sugarbear who is content today

Last edited by sugarbear1; 07-30-2011 at 10:42 AM. Reason: OCD when I typo
Old 07-30-2011, 10:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Symmetry View Post
That is sweet. I appreciate a familiar face when I'm on here all day as well! I thought after a week i was on here too much and thought I'd take a break but don't imagine I'll be doing that anytime soon. I have noticed though that I'm on here rather than being productive. Oh well
Hey you, what makes you think that being on here isn't productive? If it helps you and you help others what could be more productive then that?
Old 07-30-2011, 10:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MycoolFitz View Post
Hey you, what makes you think that being on here isn't productive? If it helps you and you help others what could be more productive then that?
Ha! I meant to edit that! Agreed 100%. Have you ever heard the saying that "the house cleans itself when you get sober"? I'll just hang out on SR and have faith...
Old 07-30-2011, 10:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Well, I guess I'm an addict, too! The thing is, I used to spend most of my evenings playing video games while drinking. Add that to the hours I spent in bed getting over a hangover, and it probably evens out.

The bottom line, though, is that I'm 15 months sober.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Damn, no wonder my house is so clean lately, I kept thinking it was the sober fairies coming out after I was asleep.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:04 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Originally Posted by MycoolFitz View Post
Damn, no wonder my house is so clean lately, I kept thinking it was the sober fairies coming out after I was asleep.
:rotfxko
Old 07-30-2011, 11:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by lpnangel View Post
... I have become obsessed with coming on this site checking how everyone is doing. I spend an ungodly amount of time on here. I need to start limiting my time here and start having a "real" life. Anyone else feel as though they have an SR addiction?
Yes, I have become obsessed checking how everyone is doing. However, I am not sure the word "addiction" would apply to this activity. I consider it a benign hobby. It has very little down-side and gives me a sense of purpose that I am not sure I could find elsewhere.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:26 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
~sb

I've been to 2 mtgs, ate breakfast with a group of sober drunks (and when I was broke, it was bought for me and I was told to do the same-you wouldn't go hungry in MD!), have chicken broth started by scratch, a clean bathroom, 1st step journaling done for today, nope, SR isn't interfering today!
Old 07-30-2011, 11:32 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

How long have you been sober?

I think a lot of people hang out here a lot in early sobriety. As their sober time builds they are here less frequently, it's kind of the same way with AA meeting attendance.

Bottom line, if you are staying sober, it's ok.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:41 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 View Post
How long have you been sober?

I think a lot of people hang out here a lot in early sobriety. As their sober time builds they are here less frequently, it's kind of the same way with AA meeting attendance.

Bottom line, if you are staying sober, it's ok.
Today is day 19
Old 07-30-2011, 11:50 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Omg! It's the weekend! We've been on SR being lazy instead of being lazy while drinking! Woop woop!
Old 07-30-2011, 11:54 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
ETA

Congrats on day 19!!

I wouldn't worry at all about being on here too much - especially in the first few months. I am on day 38 and have cut down a bit on my time here but still visit several times a day. It's safe and comfortable...

There is nothing more productive for me to than not-drink and I imagine it's the same for all of us.

I'm a wee bit more concerned with the popsicle addiction I have also picked up - I can't stop!
Old 07-30-2011, 11:55 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Symmetry View Post
Omg! It's the weekend! We've been on SR being lazy instead of being lazy while drinking! Woop woop!
:rotfxko

I will only be lazy for another couple of hour or so. Going to the beach to watch the sunset. Real Florida living.