Notices

Just wanted to say Hi

Old 07-29-2011, 12:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just wanted to say Hi

I am new to this forum and to be honest am not sure what I am going to do. I have spent the last few days reading all the wonderful advice. I am 44 years old and have a wonderful family. So far my drinking has not effected my work or home life very much. I always considered myself a social drinker but in the last year it has gotten worse and I don't want it to get out of control. So I am just doing a little intel. I can tell you this, there are some very strong and courageous people on this website and you have all helped a lot of people.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome. Sounds like you feel things are going pretty well and that you're drinking hasn't effected your work or home life "very much". But some I'm guessing? You also mention that while you're a social drinker, drinkings gotten worse and you may fear it could get more out of control. Seems very insightful of you. Don't know your plan or what you want to accomplish but early issues in work and home life, increased drinking and fear of control are signs you may want to think about. I know for me I was at that stage years ago but was not so concerned as to do anything about it. Of course, I'm an alcoholic and for me my disease progressed and my relationships and control got out of my hands. I'm glad you're taking an early inventory and thinking about what you might need to do, if anything. Best in whatever you do.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am also 44.

I will second Fitz's view that alcoholism is absolutely progressive. I had a 28 year drinking career. The amounts I drank always increased over the years, never decreased.

As a result, I have had family troubles, legal troubles, and job troubles. All caused by my consumption of alcohol.

I am an alcoholic. For me, picking up a drink = insanity. I have finally lost the romanticized notion of an after work cocktail or a few beers while watching the ballgame. Because, for me, the first drink leads to chaos and insanity.

Many people handle alcohol without any negative consequences in their lives.

I am not one of those people.

It's good that you've noticed that it might be "getting worse", as you said. If you can cut back, or moderate, then by all means do it.

I had no chance, ever, of moderating.

Anyway, welcome. This is a great place. Much wisdom and support here.

-SD
Old 07-29-2011, 01:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Duke10. You came to the right place. Stay sober and keep coming back
Old 07-29-2011, 01:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Duke and Welcome. I'm starting over today....day one. It's been progressive for me as well. It really started to escalate the last few months. I decided to stop before it gets too bad as well! Good Luck!
Old 07-29-2011, 07:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Welcome Duke! Just the fact that you searched this site out and found it indicates a strong will to control your drinking and maybe eventually stop altogether. I think people know themselves pretty well, and realize when things are starting to get out of control. Some people never have to worry about this a day in their lives and don't know how lucky they are. Nice to be able to get support here!
Old 07-30-2011, 06:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 07-30-2011, 06:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Duke! I'm glad your doing a little "intel" now. You might save yourself a whole lot of problems later. SR is a fantastic place to start.

Best Wishes To You!
Old 07-30-2011, 03:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Duke10

D
Old 07-30-2011, 03:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey Duke,

welcome mate.

Booze crept on me much sooner than I realised - I thought I was still having fun for years. It definitely got worse for me.

Hope you get what you need from SR.

SM