SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Vivid sex dreams (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/232863-vivid-sex-dreams.html)

Fallow 07-29-2011 08:23 AM

Vivid sex dreams

Day 18 of recovery and im realizing ive been having very vivid sex dreams. I dont know what to think because im married but my wife and i have lots of problems that pArtially led up to me getting sober. We have a 3 almost 4 month old daughter otherwise i probably would have just moved on by now. So needless to say we dont have the greatest sex life. Anyway last night I was dreAming I was in a hotel room with this girl from work and it was so real it seemed till i woke up, went back to sleep and dreamt i was having sex with my ex gf from 7 plus years ago who i never really got over.. She cheated so i left but i really loved her and sometimes find myself missing her. She was the start of my spiral down with alcohol but a few years ago i blacked out and called her. We started tAlking for a week thru text but then i stopped in fear people might find out. Here my wife and i just moved to the same town my ex lives in. Havent seen her yet but been keeping my eyes peeled at the grocery etc. Anyway, does anyone else have issues with sex dreams in recovery? They are not very satisfying for me at the end..i just wake up with anxiety

ajangel 07-29-2011 08:56 AM

I would guess you had those sex dreams prior to becoming sober. You just were too drunk to remember them. Sounds as though your intimate relationship with your wife (or lack there of) is the cause of your dreams. I would suggest you both see a marriage counselor before it is too late.

Fallow 07-29-2011 09:35 AM

Never thought of that! Maybe been having these dreams all along!?!?! Yes my wife and I started counseling this past week.

ACT10Npack 07-29-2011 10:00 AM

Seem to be that you don't want to be with your wife. Also by saying your only with her because of the baby is not a good reason to stay. If you don't love her anymore and don't see a good future with her it will not help you, your wife, your baby or your sobriety to stay together.

Reset 07-29-2011 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by ACT10Npack (Post 3051850)
Seem to be that you don't want to be with your wife. Also by saying your only with her because of the baby is not a good reason to stay. If you don't love her anymore and don't see a good future with her it will not help you, your wife, your baby or your sobriety to stay together.

whoa whoa whoa :)

Sex dreams are normal.

It doesn't necessarily mean you don't want to be with your wife and for the baby's sake please don't go rushing into a breakup either.

And it's a good thing you're working on your relationship, Fallow. New kid, new sobriety, new outlook on life...all of those things are major changes and take a little adjustment. Needs a bit of time and work to sort out.

Fallow 07-29-2011 10:24 AM

Yes i love my wife dont get me wrong. We both have our own issues we are working on individually. We probably both would have walked away if not for our child at one point or another but we have motivation to resolve all the old hurts of the past and rekindle our relationship. Yes there are lots of life changes happening at once...sometimes too much for my little brain to handle

sugarbear1 07-29-2011 04:16 PM

In general, all of my dreams had been vivid in sobriety. I'm not numbing my brain, I can experience my dreams. Stay sober!

firestorm090 07-29-2011 05:07 PM

Welcome Fallow,

During early recovery, I experienced many dreams of fights, being chased, falling into space, and other assorted nightmares. Lately I haven't had any, but rest assured, I'd have preferred vivid sex dreams any day, lol. Just my luck, lol.