Notices

Desperate Housewife

Old 07-29-2011, 08:52 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I'd stay away from Napa for the time being. Probably not the best place to be detoxing.

One thing that always helped me when I was jonesing was to make some tea. I know hot tea might not sound all that great right now with the heat there, but it does something to me to kill the urge pretty fast.

Hang in there, you'll do great tomorrow. You might be surprised to see things through a sober lens.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:51 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi Amanda,

Firstly welcome to SR!

This place is wonderful and has been a large part of my recovery. I think that our stories are fairly similar, I always drank in the evenings after my son was in bed, I actually asked my husband to leave, I was depressed(what came first?).

What I really wanted to let you know is this....despite it all, the difficulty of stopping and staying the course.....the rewards are incredible. I am now 6 and a half months sober, life is wonderful and I truely love myself.

I spent hours everyday here, reading and posting sometimes, and spent hours in chat where some really wonderful people showed the caring and support that I felt I lacked(and actually did) out here in the real world.

I also had to change. I asked for help, got as much as I could, and started to change things every day so that I stopped getting the same rubbish as the past. I believe recovery doesn't stop, I am still learning and growing....and it only gets better. But for me, Amanda, the key has been figuring out the why and changing things in the now.

I try not to spend hours ruminating over the past, or worrying about what may or may never happen in the future..... because those two things only ever brought me pain. I live the best way I can today.

I hope that you find your own personal path to recovery, and I am sure that you will find a load of support, wisdom and caring here. I certainly did.

Keep it up!