Notices

Quick pill question

Old 07-28-2011, 09:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quick pill question

First off, I dont take any kind of medication. I have a bad (good) dislike for medications like Norco/Vicadins and such due to watching family members destory themselves on them. Im the type of person you would have to shove a aspirn in my mouth, for me only to even debate about swallowing it.

Anyways heres my question.

When I was having bad anxiety a few weeks back, I was scouring around online trying to figure out the reason and causes of it. Well upon running upon many drug rx sites I learned a little about some of the anti-anxiety pills out there. The one I want to bring up directly is klonopin. After reading that its used for seizers, I also find out its used to help treat anxiety short term. Every website said it was for SHORT TERM use, and not long term. But this brings up my question. I see some people posting how they have used it for YEARS and YEARS. Some are off of it, and some still take it.

If its ment for short term use, why are doctors letting their patients take it for long periods of time? This makes no sense to me. And also reading about it, the detox on those alone can be crazy hard, and even worse than alcohol withdrawls.

If your reading this and you have been taking it for year, why and how? I just want to know. I cant understand why doctors would allow it.

Thanks for your time all!!

-Ryan
Old 07-28-2011, 09:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My Dad has been taking it for years for sleep. He lives in Mexico and I guess it is commonly prescribed for this as his wife has been taking it for at least 15 years also (she is from Mexico). He is an active alcoholic and his wife is not.

There are many reasons doctors choose this medication, none of which I totally understand.

I'm no help with this really as I treat my anxiety with my Tread Climber and Peanut Butter toast.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was prescribed & took Klonopin every day for 6 years. It was prescribed to me to replace my Xanax prescription, which is stronger and more addictive. Ultimately I was shifted from the Klonopin to Valium, as it was deemed more suitable for long term use. I kicked the pills entirely about three years ago (cold turkey, not fun) after a total of about 15 years of daily benzo use... Irony of ironies - my initial Xanax prescription that got the whole ball rolling was to treat anxiety caused by cocaine withdrawal. I was 15, in rehab, and thought the doctors knew best. Such is life.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
In Recovery

I saw my doctor about 6 years ago for anxiety and he recommended Ativan, which is pretty much the same thing, and also said I could use it to help stop drinking. Nothing was further from the truth.. anti-anxiety meds suppress the neurons in your brain, not only from stress but alcohol. You can drink like a fish on them, and coming off had to be cold turkey like Noble said... and it was not fun. It is also considered a gateway drug to sleep meds since you build up a tolerance.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

klonopin is a benzodiazipine. Most people get addicted to them when taking long term. Sometimes even short term. My dr prescribed 7 days of benzo's the last time I detoxed. I was so afraid to get addicted, I only took 1 a day for 3 days. I still had most of them left over 2 months later. There are antidepressants and non narcotic meds out there that help with anxiety. Celexa and lexapro are a couple. I use celexa and it works great for me. My anxiety has cut in half with minimal side effects. My sister takes vistaril for anxiety. It's an antihistamine and is non narcotic. I don't know why doctors prescribe them so often for long term when they know they are addictive. Personally I stay away from them.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've been taking valium for anxiety, panic attacks, agoraphobia, and GAD for 13 years. I had a psychotic episode when I was 18 from smoking marijuana and valium is a lot better for you than marajuana is so that's why I use it. I use it for anxiety and full blown panic attacks and without it and initially prescribed it because I wasn't coping in life. Benzos are for short-term use but sometimes doctors find it neccessary for you to keep taking it even when you become dependent on it because you use these type of medications as a last resort for your mental health.

I had a nervous breakdown 2 years ago. I could hardly walk into the doctor's clinic I was so full of fear and panic I was a wreck couldn't keep still etc and I was in there every 2 days.

All day everyday I was feeling crazy and my mind was full of all kinds of crap worrying and anxious thoughts. My doctor prescribed me Xanax and for a few hours a day I was at peace with myself better than none right. It was a life-saver I went from being on the edge and almost suicidal and this drug saved my life. I was using it daily back then. I later got onto some anti-depressants and was able to cut down the benzos myself without any trouble and today I use Xanax about once a week 0.5mg and valium about 3 5mg tablet a week so you can see how much I've improved.

If it wasn't for benzos I might be dead from not being able to cope in life. They do what there supposed to do and relieve anxiety symptoms within 20-30minutes lasting maybe 2-4 hours.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It's the people who abuse benzos them that give them a bad name.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by checkmate1 View Post
I've been taking valium for anxiety, panic attacks, agoraphobia, and GAD for 13 years. I had a psychotic episode when I was 18 from smoking marijuana and valium is a lot better for you than marajuana is so that's why I use it. I use it for anxiety and full blown panic attacks and without it and initially prescribed it because I wasn't coping in life. Benzos are for short-term use but sometimes doctors find it neccessary for you to keep taking it even when you become dependent on it because you use these type of medications as a last resort for your mental health.

I had a nervous breakdown 2 years ago. I could hardly walk into the doctor's clinic I was so full of fear and panic I was a wreck couldn't keep still etc and I was in there every 2 days.

All day everyday I was feeling crazy and my mind was full of all kinds of crap worrying and anxious thoughts. My doctor prescribed me Xanax and for a few hours a day I was at peace with myself better than none right. It was a life-saver I went from being on the edge and almost suicidal and this drug saved my life. I was using it daily back then. I later got onto some anti-depressants and was able to cut down the benzos myself without any trouble and today I use Xanax about once a week 0.5mg and valium about 3 5mg tablet a week so you can see how much I've improved.

If it wasn't for benzos I might be dead from not being able to cope in life. They do what there supposed to do and relieve anxiety symptoms within 20-30minutes lasting maybe 2-4 hours.
Your case is one that benefits the need for long term use. The ones that get addicted are the ones that abuse it. You are right. I am glad you found something that helped you.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

There are a lot of good Anti-depressants that will help with anxiety like Zoloft. I spent a lot of time getting off benzos that were supposedly good for me and my drinking problem, I will never go back. The truth of the matter is that all meds must be slowly tapered off but at least some don't drive your body to need more.
SH