Notices

Need Advice please..

Old 07-29-2011, 05:24 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thank you for your support and care.
I wanted to wean down to 3 beers or so then quit but I'm finding that to be tough. So i figured it would be best to go cold turkey.

Have any of you had these symptoms? Pain on right side, a bit of yellowing of the eyes?

I also feel extremely weak during the day and felt as though I was going to pass out many times. It feels like a vitamin deficiency.

Also my life is pretty much **** nowadays. Broken relationships, ****** job that I hate going to. And suffering during the day because I fee like crap. Almost feel like ending it all. What if there is no hell and no thoughts? Nothingness..
Old 07-29-2011, 05:25 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

wow. the site asterisks the bad words automatically.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:30 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Sucks that some people here have drank like 30 beers a day and I'm drinking like 6 light beers and I've got all these physical symptoms for you guys to all echo ASAP.
Are these rare symptoms even among people who drink regularly?
Old 07-29-2011, 05:39 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Could be a number of things. Only your doctor can diagnose what is wrong. They may be serious, they may not. Life can be hard. We have to take the bad with the good. There is happiness. I have had my share of bad things happen to me. Some were my own doing, some were not. We can let it define us or we can grow from it. I am sorry you are having a bad time. It is good that you are quitting. If the detox gets bad, please call 911. It is best not to detox alone if you are not going to seek medical attention. You definitely should call you doctor on Monday. At least it will give you peace of mind knowing what is going on. Hang in there love
Old 07-29-2011, 05:49 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thank you. When I had the pain about 3 years ago, I told him it must be my liver. He kept insisting that I must've pulled a muscle there and last year I went for an ultrasound that was fine. Definitely not a pulled muscle and after further research on the web on my own, I think it might be the pancreas. Or both. And maybe lungs too,since I smoke too and I seem to get stabbing pain everywhere nowadays.

Yikes, not looking good!
Old 07-29-2011, 05:59 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

daduck, I've been having pains in my right side for the last couple of months. It was so bad last month that I went to the ER but everything came up negative so they just called it a strained muscle. However, even after a week of steroids, as much rest as I could manage while still keeping my employment, and laying off the exercise, it still hurts. It's between my ribs though, when I press the muscles with my fingers it hurts but feels better to massage, kind of like a knot in the back or neck. I've never had anything like it. My regular doctor can't figure it out so I'm going to an orthopedic doctor next week who specializes in upper body. I never considered that it was alcohol related. It started around the time I quit, but actually now that I think about it, it hurt before I quit. I had been tapering off since January and quit totally in June. At my all time high I was drinking as much as 2 bottles in one night (that was rare and would knock me out of commission for a couple days) though my usual average was 4-5 glasses a night, 4-5 times a week. I guess I should disclose to my doctor that I was a heavy drinker...
Old 07-29-2011, 06:00 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by daduck71 View Post
Thank you. When I had the pain about 3 years ago, I told him it must be my liver. He kept insisting that I must've pulled a muscle there and last year I went for an ultrasound that was fine. Definitely not a pulled muscle and after further research on the web on my own, I think it might be the pancreas. Or both. And maybe lungs too,since I smoke too and I seem to get stabbing pain everywhere nowadays.

Yikes, not looking good!
The sooner you go, the sooner you will find out. The not knowing is causing so much stress I am sure. Just don't drink. I am sure that will aggravate it more.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:19 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Congratulations to you Yoga on quitting. Keep it up!
Old 07-30-2011, 01:26 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

How are you feeling today daduck71? I hope you were able to handle the withdraws. Keep us posted on how things are going.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:49 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
~sb

DUDE, LIGHT BEER HAS SAME ALCOHOL AS REGULAR.

Could be liver, kidney....STOP PLAYIMG AND GET TO DOCTOR.

If you can't ween to 3, what makes you think you can cold Turkey SAFELY???

Whatcha gonna do if you have a seizure? I know, I had one. It's an out of body experience-YOU CAN'T SAVE YOURSELF.

we shall find out IF amy winehouse died by self detox soon enough, will you be here if you are your own doctor today???

Drunks are hardheads, sheesh!
Old 07-30-2011, 01:52 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
~sb

Keeping my typo
Old 07-30-2011, 01:59 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
~sb

Thank you for your support and care.
I wanted to wean down to 3 beers or so then quit but I'm finding that to be tough. So i figured it would be best to go cold turkey.

Have any of you had these symptoms? Pain on right side, a bit of yellowing of the eyes?

I also feel extremely weak during the day and felt as though I was going to pass out many times. It feels like a vitamin deficiency.

Also my life is pretty much **** nowadays. Broken relationships, ****** job that I hate going to. And suffering during the day because I fee like crap. Almost feel like ending it all. What if there is no hell and no thoughts? Nothingness..
Get to doctor and tell doctor ALL your symptoms. Check for liver damage. You're stressing me. Prayers sent
Old 07-30-2011, 02:15 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Location: “It doesn’t matter where you are, you are nowhere compared to where you can go.”
Be careful!
I've been completely honest with my doctor about how much I drink, but he's never asked me how long I've been drinking heavily....Ithink we know in our hearts what we are doing to ourselves, and sometimes, when a medical professional makes you feel like you are safe, it's an easy excuse to continue down the wrong path. I have had several friends and family members die from alcohol related circumstances.

If I don't serve any other purpose from this post....the biggest thing I want to emphasize is that....excuse the all caps, but I feel it necessary: REGULAR BLOODWORK AND NORMAL RESULTS DO NOT MEAN YOU HAVE NO LIVER DAMAGE!" My bil died after having a normal bloodwork done. When my husband ask the dr., the dr said that the liver function tests are different for different people and you usually don't know of a liver problem until it's serious, and either curable only with a transplant, or impossible.

Yeah, I'm still drinking. IDIOT, and lost my best friend to the same cr@p a few yrs ago.

ALSO....I know we aren't supposed to give medical advice on here, but I just consider this useful information, which I hope is allowed....

over the counter meds, as well as some prescribed meds, are horrible for your liver. My best friend, who died, was taking medicine for fybromyalgia (sp) and lots of over the counter pain meds (tylenol). There are a lot of things that damage your liver, besides just alcohol, that a lot of people don't even realize.

I know I am already being destructive to my liver, so I avoid anything else that will add to that.

I know drinking is the worst, but I just don't know if people realize the damage that they can be doing with other things that we see as safe. I can easily avioid those other things, because I'm not addicted to them, so, to me, it's at least not adding more damage to the situation.

P.S. I read EVERY "warning" on anything I take,. If it says "Talk to your dr if you have ever had kidney or liver disease", I avoid it, and ask my dr if something else will work. I know I'm rambling on (sorry)....but I really DO believe that it's important to realize that there are things that can damage your liver, but that you don't ever consider, because it doesn't get attention.

Not medical advice...........just a warning to read, inform yourself, and be careful.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:29 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
~sb

Weight loss
Yellowing eyes
Stabbing pain on right side & all over
Amount drinking &
How often you drink
Previous red blotches
Anything else like tylenol you take
Smoking & how much
what you eat
Anything else?

Be honest with your doctor!

Last edited by sugarbear1; 07-30-2011 at 02:31 PM. Reason: loke = like
Old 07-30-2011, 02:36 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Weight loss
Yellowing eyes
Stabbing pain on right side & all over
Amount drinking &
How often you drink
Previous red blotches
Anything else like tylenol you take
Smoking & how much
what you eat
Anything else?

Be honest with your doctor!
The symptoms are certainly worrisome. It is up to him to make the decision. I hope he is ok
Old 07-30-2011, 02:44 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sure daduck is thinking carefully about the advice he's gotten, and I hope he's following through on it - but as lpn says, it's his decision.

Let's wait for an update....

D
Old 07-30-2011, 04:47 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hi all,

Now my eyes are turning a bit yellow. They turn more yellow and bloodshot after about 4pm at work. it's come to the point where I'm avoiding eye contact. I don't drink during the day, yet. Is that a symptom of withdrawal? And I start to feel hot and sweaty around the same time.
Yellow eyes are symptom of liver damage. Sweats may be a symtomp of withdrawal. I am concerned about those yellow eyes. You should visit a doctor and be honest about your drinking.

The good news are that alcoholism can be stopped. Here are many examples of that.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:35 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Hi Guys/Girls for all of your advice! I haven't logged on in a few days but I'm fine. Thanks for your support.

As far as an update, nothing different yet - I'm taking your advice and not going cold turkey and waiting to talk to the doctor next week. Yes, I will be forthright with him about my problems.

Maybe the color of my eyes being yellow was an exaggeration on my part. They have a tinge of yellow from time to time, I think, but I noticed that they are different colors at different times of the day.

They are a bit bloodshot in the morning, are white around 2-4pm, then turn more opaque/yellowish/darkish around 6pm. And it's the bottom half of the eyes that are this way. I know this sounds kind of silly but I'm not making it up. Did anyone have an experiences like this?

To answer some of your questions:
From what I've found on the internet on alcohol contents of different beers, light beers (such as Bud Light) have less alcohol content than their regular cousins.

Sugarbear, maybe it's just me, but I felt that weaning off would be more difficult than just biting the bullet and quitting altogether. If alcoholics could wean, or drink in moderation, then they could probably become social drinkers, couldn't they? But we know that not to be the case.. It's usually all or nothing with alcoholics, so I thought going cold turkey might be the way, since I was having a hard time weaning anyway.

Thanks for your advice Sanddollar - I try not to take any medicine, including Tylenol, or anything else that may tip my liver over the edge, if it hadn't done that already. I don't do drugs, but I smoke cigarettes - about one pack per day.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:39 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

You are or aren't going cold turkey?
Old 07-31-2011, 05:41 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Administrator

Like I said before none of us are Drs - there could be any number of reasons behind the symptoms you're experiencing.

It is best to get yourself checked out by a professonial tho, so I'm glad you're doing that.
It's not good to ignore our health

D