Notices

New here-thank you already!

Old 07-28-2011, 10:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

New here-thank you already!

New to these forums and so glad I found them. Just reading that others are in the same boat has been really helpful and comforting.

I come from a family with alcoholics on both sides. Fun loving alcoholics, but it was a problem just the same. I don't want to continue down the path I'm heading and am sick of beating myself up over booze. Pretty much every bad decision I've ever made I can trace back to drinking. I'm very lucky that I haven't landed a dui or worse and want to keep it that way.

I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around the idea of never drinking again. Trying the one day at a time approach. Would like to hear from people who have had success doing this without AA as I don't think I want meetings to be the new focus of my life, and I'm not really into the religious aspect of the program.

Day 5 and was hoping to be feeling better physically. I'm worn out and feeling extra tired. Better than hung over though
Old 07-28-2011, 10:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome! You've come to the right place, much wisdom and support here.

And you will find that the people here have gained sobriety in many ways, AA is just one of many.

-SD
Old 07-28-2011, 11:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well, there are many paths to recovery, enough that everyone searching and serious can discover theirs. AA certainly is comfortable for many and has been of great help. I currently don't attend AA, I have other support systems and belief systems that seem reight and beneficial to me. I do believe that when you take something away that has been central to your life--such as drinking--its important to find something of significance to you to fill the void. Just not picking up with out changing other aspects of your being may be sobriety but its not recovery. My best to you in your efforts. Welcome and thanks for the posting.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome NoFireWater - glad you found us, and congrats on day 5! I was so tired at first, too. I had to keep things as simple as possible. I spent a lot of time here just reading and it really helped me get through those first days.

Like you, I decided to quit before I got a DUI and had major consequences. I didn't know how I would get along without alcohol, but I also knew things would only get worse if I kept drinking.

It gets better. And yes, you can do this without AA (although at some point, you may want to go to a meeting just to see what it's like). Definitely take it one day at a time.... and be patient with yourself too. Get some B-complex vitamins, treat yourself to some good food. If we can do it, so can you!
Old 07-28-2011, 11:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey hey! First off welcome, and second "Get ready to be transfored!"

You have just made the best choice of your entire life. You may not see that right now, but trust me I promise you have!

As for AA, well I dont go. This forum is like my AA. I'm just over 3 months sober as well.

Not going to AA works for a lot of people while others cant stay sober without it. The reason I feel Ive been sucessful without AA is because I dont need constant reasurance that Im not going to drink anymore. I simply just KNOW I'm not going to drink anymore. Im done with it. I never EVER want to be where I once was, and I wont ever let myself forget how bad I felt living in that alcohol based world. If I ever feel my own willpower begins to fade, you bet your butt Ill seek the help of AA. I havent ruled it out that I wont go. I just dont feel I need it right now. Like I said, this place is my AA .

But I must say we cant do it on our own usually. Everyone needs some line of support. Be it a live AA meeting, sharing your journey with supportive friends/family, or simply getting on your computer to come here. We all need something

-Ryan

B
Old 07-28-2011, 11:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

to SR.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I'm glad you found us.

I am not an AA person and I have used SR as my support system for many years. As well, there have been several books that have helped and inspired me along the way.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR

I could not wrap my head around not ever drinking again or the God thing when I first started AA. What I learned was that I could only look at sobriety as one day, sometimes one hour, and sometimes only one minute. To look any further than that was dangerous as we all only have today and there are no guarantees on that. As far as the God concept I was able to get that by seeing it as Power Greater than myself not necessarily a religion being but a spiritual concept.

I have been sober 10 years thanks to the program of AA. One piece of advice I would give any newcomer is to start on the Steps immediately. I see it as the Steps are the core of the program and how can one expect the program to work if they do not work the Steps and learn how to apply them to every aspect of their lives. Even today I put the Steps into practice for every problem that arises in my life and even if I don't get the answer or solution I want I still get resolution and peace around it.

Welcome to AA I hope you find a successful journey.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 07-28-2011, 02:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for the warm welcome and good advice everyone! I like the idea of online support as I work 3 jobs and care for an elderly parent. Keeping it simple sounds really good right now! I hadn't realized how much we're bombarded by media mentions of drinking and alcohol until this week when I'm making an honest effort to avoid it at all costs. It's everywhere! Nice to be able to stop in here and get a different message to combat the others.

Thanks for tip on B vitamins as well...
Old 07-28-2011, 02:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I've been sober almost twenty months now and credit my sobriety to my addictions counselor and this life-saving site.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I had to work my bar job tonight and was seriously tested. While it was going on I was remembering little things people had said on SR and was able to decline the offers of shots and cocktails. It was tempting for a millisecond, but I thought about the overall consequences and it was fairly easy to say "maybe next time but definitely not tonight".