Notices

SoberJennie - 30 Days Today

Old 07-28-2011, 06:36 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

jen
Old 07-28-2011, 06:53 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Happy birthday to you Jennie. And nice work with 30 days.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:57 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday and congrats, Jennie! I feel like you and I have a lot in common - my mother was an alcoholic who died of a prescription overdose that we'll never know if it was intentional or not. She was a very unhappy person who pushed her unhappiness on other people. In becoming sober, I've been thinking a lot about her and kind of smacking myself in the head like, "DUH, why did I think it was ever safe or a good idea for me to drink?" Because I never want to go down the path she did. I feel proud of myself for stopping the cycle here. And you should feel proud too! It feels so good to be committed to a life free of poison and chaos.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:27 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by ElvisInASkirt View Post
I like this attitude AVRT. Just read the opening paragraph on the AVRT website and thought 'I am a teetotaller' and felt this immense buzz of euphoria. Then out of nowhere I thought 'What will you do at Christmas then without booze?' Celebrate without poisoning myself was my answer. Another buzz and tingling sensation.
Recovery with an attitude - kick butt and take names. None of that weak defeatist nonsense.

Your life, your freedom, your dignity, and your happiness hang in the balance.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:34 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
I decided on permanent abstinence for myself and I'm 100% secure in that. Under no circumstance will I ever drink, no exceptions... no changing my mind about it. Deciding and knowing this has brought me peace over my past alcohol problem.
I experienced the same sensation of peace when I came to the same decision.

I'd often thought about quitting for a year, but knew that would be impossible. When I did quit, the first month or so was a roller coaster of doubt and fear...until deciding upon complete abstinence for Life gave me a sense of peace. There were the same urges and intrusive thoughts about drinking (and at 13 months they still make infrequent appearances) but they became so much easier to shrug off and flick away.

Enjoy this simple gift you've given yourself...HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-29-2011, 10:20 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by Murray4x5 View Post
I experienced the same sensation of peace when I came to the same decision.

I'd often thought about quitting for a year, but knew that would be impossible. When I did quit, the first month or so was a roller coaster of doubt and fear...until deciding upon complete abstinence for Life gave me a sense of peace. There were the same urges and intrusive thoughts about drinking (and at 13 months they still make infrequent appearances) but they became so much easier to shrug off and flick away.
Quitting "one day at a time, and only for today" or on a trial basis is simply procrastinating. It delays the anxiety temporarily, to be sure, but in exchange for that reprieve, you pay a heavy price. The anxiety, though milder, is drawn out, and that feeling of uncertainty - essentially the fear of relapse - may never go away. Quitting unconditionally for life brings forth the anxiety all at once, but it also allows you to quickly get past it and to move on with living.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:26 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Great Job and Happy Birthday.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:55 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
orangutan

30 days is great!

and have a great birthday .