Notices

Withdrawl from quitting booze killed Amy Winehouse!

Old 07-27-2011, 11:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Englishrose70

Withdrawl from quitting booze killed Amy Winehouse!

A warning to anyone who has had a long term problem, please dont do it alone, go to your doctor.

Withdrawl can be such a severe shock to the body that it doesnt recover from it.

Apart from her music, perhaps this is Amy's legacy and lesson to all of us battling or thinking of battling the beast.

Just thought I would share, even if it means one person who wasnt going to get medical support, now does.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

When I saw this post, I had to take a look and see where the source came from because they reported that it will take 4 to 6 weeks to know how Amy Winehouse died. With that said we don't know how Amy Winehouse died yet. Here is the quote from the a stuff.co.nz
Family sources have told British newspaper The Sun that Winehouse ignored her doctor's advice to cut down on her heavy drinking gradually.

They believe she died from a seizure due to her tiny body not being able to handle the shock of a drastically reduced intake of liquor.
Remember Winehouse was a heavy coke user and I believe she said from that and not the booze. We will know in 4 to 6 weeks.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That seems to only be the families opinion, I never knew she was only 4'11", she seemed taller in her videos. Heres the Sun article : Family say Amy Winehouse was killed by giving up drink | The Sun |News
Old 07-28-2011, 04:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I wouldn't be surprised. Detox is so dangerous. That is a horrible thought that she died trying to get sober. I hope she didn't suffer.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

okay I just read the link, I don't believe it, it's just opinion at this point. In the US it is reported that cause of death is still undetermined and according to her own family she was off the heroin but was drinking heavily in her last days.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Please let's not get involved in the speculation of how anyone died.

Yes...de toxing from alcohol and drugs is risky unless you have a medically supervised de tox.
we have been saying that for years on SR...members share often on their expereinces.

Flat out....addictions kill...and it's a tragic needless way to die.

Blessings to everyone for careing about yourself and others...
Plese do something positive today and keep moving forward.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I agree, Carol. Nothing has been confirmed, and won't be for a while, so the speculation is uncomfortable.

However, I have to comment that I am glad that this 'rumor' is circulating, purely in the fact that it's raising awareness that quitting cold turkey from alcohol can kill. I certainly didn't know that fact before I joined SR and started reading, and no one else I knew personally was aware of it, either. I think it's one of those important facts that is not widely talked about, and the lack of information about it is very worrisome.

I've read some of the gossip pages on the internet today, and it seems everyone is shocked that cold turkey withdrawal from alcohol can result in fatality. It's been described as 'shocking' and 'bizarre'. Obviously I'm not condoning tittle tattle and false facts being written about Amy, but if it raises attention to someone thinking of quitting cold turkey and saves a life TODAY, then at least some good has come of it.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Rumer or speculation aside, I had no idea you could die from withdrawl.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, it most definitely can be fatal.

It's always a good idea to talk to your dr before you detox from alcohol.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Englishrose70

New Wings, thank you, that was the point of posting that thread, the point is not whether it is 100% accurate whether Amy died from withdrawl or not, the point was to raise the awareness that it can and does happen.

And Carol you are right it is not our place to speculate, the bottom line is another life is lost and if you are a heavy drinker looking to quit, cold turkey could be very dangerous.

I was not aware myself of this and I did it on my own. I count myself very lucky, there for the grace of God, the outcome for me could have been so different
Old 07-28-2011, 12:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

As I stated in another thread on this topic. The coroners report is still not in completely. The death is undetermined at this point as the toxicology report will not be in for a few weeks. Here is my source for that information. CNN is a reputable source. Autopsy not conclusive on Amy Winehouse death - CNN Anything else is just speculation and gossip. Until all the facts are in and the coroner has made his ruling I will not believe a word of the gossip or speculation.

As previously stated by many, alcohol withdrawal can cause serious and deadly side effects. It is always best to do it under the supervision of a trained medical professional.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I wholeheartedly agree that regardless o whether it is true or not it has raised awareness that you can die from withdrawal. As many I did not realize that was possible when I quit and I was fortunate not to have a problem with it.

The fact that even the speculation that it might be withdrawal that killed her is a good thing in my opinion.

I hope she is at peace. To watch early interviews with her, before her addiction, is enlightening...she was a completely different person than who alcohol made her. And despite all the other drugs she did it was alcohol that opened the gate for them.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by landminesgirl View Post
Rumer or speculation aside, I had no idea you could die from withdrawl.
When I quit drinking cold turkey, I had no idea of this, either. I foolishly approached detox without a doctor's guidance or treatment of any kind, and I nearly paid my life for it. It really doesn't get the kind attention it should, IMHO.