Notices

Paws?

Old 07-27-2011, 04:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Paws?

I am on my 26th day sober but feeling a little down. The first 3 weeks of sobriety I felt on top of the world, waking up smiling and energetic, so positive and excited about the future and all the wonderful possibilities life holds. I even woke myself up laughing in my sleep a few times the one night.

Fast forward to the last few days...

I have been waking up so tired, with no energy or real drive. And just today I have been feeling really low, directionless, and unsure of myself.

I must add that I am moving apartments on Sunday and then start a new job on Monday, so this might be subconsciously affecting me. Both are really positive moves so I am confused that I am feeling like this.
I don't feel tempted to drink, just wondering if anyone has had similar experiences in early sobriety.

Is this possibly a minifestation of PAWS?

I feel so fortunate to have found this sanctuary that is SR to be able to 'put it out there' as it were.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

There are a lot of ups and downs associated with early sobriety. You are on the down side right now. Are you doing any kind of face to face support? A plan in place in case this continues for a couple of days? It's real easy to question recovery when things get a little rough.

Hang in there.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
instant

I am day 72 or 73. My emotions are not yet stable and I have unpleasant periods for "no reason". I think the reason is my brain is re-adjusting from years of abuse and I just have to roll with it.

Hang in there
Old 07-27-2011, 05:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What is PAWS?
Old 07-27-2011, 05:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

PAWS « Digital Dharma

I had many mood swings in my first three months smileyblue - often tied to nothing else happening - but, for me, what I identified as PAWS actually happened later.

D
Old 07-27-2011, 09:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think the move and new job are for sure going to affect you. Even good changes can be stressful and if you always got rid of those feelings by drinking then you are going to feel uncomfortable when you have those feelings again. Just hang in there and know this is a time that will help you learn how to deal with uncomfortable feelings.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies. And thanks to Dee for posting the link on PAWS. I will definitely read it over from time to time.

Doggonecarl, to answer your question, I have been to a couple of AA meetings, and although I have found a few helpful, unfortunately I live in a country where there are not many people who attend AA. The meetings I have been to range from 3 to 6 members, and I am the only woman in any of them. So it is not ideal. I have never been for counselling or anything, and am wondering if I should try it out...I just don't know what I would say. "Hi, I have just quit drinking...and?"
Old 07-28-2011, 06:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by smileyblue View Post
I have never been for counselling or anything, and am wondering if I should try it out...I just don't know what I would say. "Hi, I have just quit drinking...and?"
Why don't you say what you told us?

"I have been feeling really low, directionless, and unsure of myself."

I am certainly not saying you need counselling, though we would all probably benefit from having someone to talk to. It's just that recovery is tough. A lot of stuff besides the drinking has to be dealt with. Issues with guilt, anger, resentment and so forth. The other good thing about face to face support (like AA, even though it wasn't ideal for you) is to have someone to go to when you are weak in recovery. I know when I was struggling it was easier to think about drinking as an option. At those times it is great if you have someone who can ask you, "Are you out of your mind?"

Good luck.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I know PAWS all to well. Heres what I think about PAWS!!!

PAWS :uzi2:

But yeah, its crap. I went through it a few weeks back. I felt very very strange as if I was detoxing again. I felt social anxiety, and just plain weird! Its hard to explain how I felt really, but I didnt like it thats for sure.

Good news is though it passes. Mine lasted for about a month. Off and on at very random times. It came from out of the blue, and is slowly fading out of the blue.

I still dont think Im totally in the clear from it, but I can say its passing. When it was going on, it felt like it would never pass, but it does

Just stay strong and know its all normal. Some people go through it while others dont. But yes it sucks. No reason to drink over thats for sure. Its said that if you drink you will just have to go through all over again, and thats just plain counter preductive!

Stay strong friend!

-Ryan
Old 07-28-2011, 08:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Wow, thank you Dee for posting that link. i too have had a cloudy head at times the past few days. Not a craving so much as just unable to concentrate and feeling fuzzy..I have heard that it takes an addicted brain up to a year to fully heal. Its nice to know what to expect and that these things are 'normal' feelings during recovery. =) I'm at 2 weeks and loving it..ive even started cleaning my house again!
Old 07-28-2011, 08:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you for the link ... most informative ...
Old 07-28-2011, 10:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RyanRed View Post
I know PAWS all to well. Heres what I think about PAWS!!!

PAWS :uzi2:

But yeah, its crap. I went through it a few weeks back. I felt very very strange as if I was detoxing again. I felt social anxiety, and just plain weird! Its hard to explain how I felt really, but I didnt like it thats for sure.

Good news is though it passes. Mine lasted for about a month. Off and on at very random times. It came from out of the blue, and is slowly fading out of the blue.

I still dont think Im totally in the clear from it, but I can say its passing. When it was going on, it felt like it would never pass, but it does

Just stay strong and know its all normal. Some people go through it while others dont. But yes it sucks. No reason to drink over thats for sure. Its said that if you drink you will just have to go through all over again, and thats just plain counter preductive!

Stay strong friend!

-Ryan
Yeap! That's been my experience as well.