SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Should I stay or Should I go? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/232631-should-i-stay-should-i-go.html)

ShySufferer 07-26-2011 08:02 AM

Should I stay or Should I go?

I was just one day away from signing the lease on an apartment that would complete my detachment from my AW when she finally admitted to me that she was an alcoholic. Now what do I do?

I got the nerve to put the house up for sale, rent a place for the kids and me, take that first step to MY new life without my AW and then this. What I don't know is if this is just another attempt, a last ditch attempt to entangle me once more. Is this time different, will she stop? Is 2 dui's thye magic number?

Should I proceed as planned and let her do this on her own, or help with her recovery even though it's killing me and the kids.

Please advise if you have been or are there.

Thanks

SSIL75 07-26-2011 08:05 AM

There is a forum for family and friends and I bet you'll get great advice there.

For me, I'd proceed as planned. Let her know you'll be happy to support her in her recovery. But you don't have to be a slave to it.

JMHO.

Anna 07-26-2011 08:47 AM

From reading your post, it sounds like you have already made up your mind that leaving is the way to go.

I wish you and your children well.

Dee74 07-26-2011 02:17 PM

Welcome shysufferer :)

If you've decided to 'put the house up for sale, rent a place for the kids and me, take that first step to MY new life without my AW' you must have had good reason?

I hope your wife's admission can be the start of her recovery, but don't forget your recovery too, or your well being and that of your kids.

I hope you'll look in at our FF forums too :)

best wishes to you and yours :)
D

mhealer3 08-01-2011 11:36 AM

pray

dear friend, pray for help,
God Loves u.
niether path will be perfect,
but you'll get Peace that guides you from God.
whichever choice gives you most Peace AFTER YOU'VE PRAYED,(and waited)
that would be the path 4 u.
no mortal can answer your Q, but God cares.
besides,the best move for ur kids would be giving them the Gift of
a Loving God also.
(that will stack the deck in your favor that neither kid will need to be addicts themselves later in life).
God proved His Love by sending Jesus 2 die our death penalty 4 hating God.
blessings from new york state.

Fenris 08-01-2011 11:45 AM

Shysufferer, I hope your wife receives the treatment she needs for her alcoholism, but admitting that we are alcoholic is only the first step towards changing our lives. It's a good beginning, but it's *only* a beginning. I can only advise you to do what is best for you and your children, whatever you decide that is, and make her take ownership of her problems.

--Fenris.

sugarbear1 08-01-2011 12:15 PM

I don't have that experience, but my dad is an alcoholic and i went to al-anon.

least 08-01-2011 01:14 PM

Here's the forum they mentioned. Please post your situation there as they have a lot of good advice and experience to share.:hug:

Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information