Notices

One week sober - Thanks

Old 07-25-2011, 06:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Edwardm

One week sober - Thanks

I want to thank everyone who has been so supportive. I made it one week, the first weekend sober in several years. I know I wouldn't have made it on my own. Everyone was so encouraging and everything you told me was true; I feel great this morning, no guilt over caving in, and I'm not dragging into work all foggy with a headache. A very good Monday morning with a positive attitude.

All that being said, I know it will still be tough this week. I know it's going to be a long road. When I walk through that door tonight after work the cravings are going to hit me hard. I'm terrified, and should be, if I continue drinking it will eventually destroy me. After one week, I feel I have hope.

If anyone reading this is just starting, please listen to the support offered here. When I wrote my first post I asked someone to please tell me not to drink and they did. They helped me hang on for the first week, I will be here to ask for more support in the rough times and offer my support to others just like me.

Ed
Old 07-25-2011, 06:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's fantastic Edward!!! I'll bet your a bit proud of yourself today. The first week was the hardest for me. I'm happy to hear you made it through. The terrific people here at SR helped carry me also. Stick with it and keep posting. You'll start feeling, like you actually CAN do this. Get a little stronger each day. Keep up the good work!

Best Wishes To You!
Old 07-25-2011, 07:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

That is really good news...

Instead of going directly home ...why not do something a bit different that does not include drinking?

A walk....check out a movie...have an early dinner out....visit a bookstore or coffee shop.
There are also AA meetings in many areas ... that is what I did to begin my sober journey.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on one week, Edward....

Don't forget to pop into SR tonight and tell us how you're day went - you can do this....
Old 07-25-2011, 10:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

One week is great! Congratulations.

You don't have to think of being doomed when you walk in that door. I got to the point where I was able to buy cigarettes in a liquor store without the slightest temptation.

My advice would be to get in the right frame of mind. You don't drink anymore. Carol made some good suggestions, as usual. Use everything you have in minds toolbox to not be tempted. It does get easier.

Best to you.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

awesome !!! congrats !
Old 07-25-2011, 02:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations Edward

D
Old 07-25-2011, 07:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Congratulations on 1 week!!!!

The evening hours are always the hardest, but just take them one at a time. Something that helped me a lot was realizing that the cravings often came on the strongest when I was hungry. Try getting a milkshake right after work....

It's amazing how much smoother things go when we don't start the day off feeling sick and regretful. Hang in there - you're doing great!!
Old 07-25-2011, 07:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Awesome. Stick with it.