Notices

Struggling at nearly 7 months

Old 07-25-2011, 01:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Struggling at nearly 7 months

Hi everyone,

Been lurking here since last year. Today I thought I'd better stop isolating and introduce myself. I'm a 27 year old uni student from Australia and an alkie and addict. Clean and sober since 1/1/11.

Bit of a struggle today. Had to deal with my doctor who doesn't seem to know much about addiction and doesn't seem to believe me when I tell him what's going on because I dress and speak well and don't appear to be a complete mess - I'm not assuming that, he told me. It really frustrates and angers me. And since I'm having some serious anger managment issues lately... it's a problem. Think I may have to find a new doctor.

Being able to come home and have a read of SR and daily reflections is preferable to stopping at the bottle shop on the way home to remind myself what a hopeless drunk I was. But damn is it ever tempting. It's like I want to get back on it and mess myself up more just so I can show the guy how ...ed up I am out of spite.

The reason I went to see him was to get him to fill out a form for the uni support and equity people so that I can get some extra time on exams etc, because since I got sober my brain doesn't work so well. And he was hesitant because he thought it was unfair to the other students. In principle I agree, but that's for the uni to decide, not him.

I wish I had more meetings where I live but I have to wait till thursday assuming I can get a lift. Most of the AA's around here are older men who have been sober for 20+ years and are mostly talk. There's a S.M.A.R.T. meeting tomorrow according to the website and they do pickup, so I think I'll give them a ring in the morning.

I'm going to go to an online meeting tonight. The last one I went to I got whinged at because some of them couldn't hear me, as though their volume control is my problem. I'm glad I can laugh at stuff like that but damn, it gets old fast.

Anyway, just needed to share. Thanks for reading my rant.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Journey of Recovery

Welcome to SR Spinosus. Glad you are here! You will find a lot of support here.

There are many avenues of recovery. I am in AA. I hope you find one that fits you.

Thanks for posting.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Spinosus

Good to have another Aussie here

I need to have a Dr who at least tries to understand me and my problems and is prepared to give creedence to my concerns.

Sounds like maybe looking around for a new Dr is a good idea?

I know you'll find a lot of support here - welcome
D
Old 07-25-2011, 05:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Welcome to SR Spinosus!

SR is a vibrant and supportive community cyber community. I found being here is a good way to practice new heather behaviors as well as thinking.

I myself found the S.M.A.R.T. recovery tools, along with my unwavering commitment to remain sober, has helped me the most.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Spinosus. Good that you didn't let that incident send you back to drinking. I find it so sad that people have to be a complete mess in public before it is considered a problem. Thankfully, we have SR.

I followed a path similiar to Zencat.

Originally Posted by Zencat View Post
I myself found the S.M.A.R.T. recovery tools, along with my unwavering commitment to remain sober, has helped me the most.
Good for you for reaching out and taking action.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The Serenity prayer helps me with my struggles.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcome everyone. Feeling much more on top of things today.