Notices

Caring About and For Myself

Old 07-24-2011, 05:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Caring About and For Myself

After my divorce a few years ago I was a complete mess (I was before but wouldn't look at it). Nothing mattered but drinking and not feeling anything but numb and noncaring--about the world, about myself. I sat around all day doing nothing basically but drinking. When I decided to go sober it spilled into my life in unexpected ways. I slowly started to care about myself (maybe for the first time) and for myself. I lived in a messy place and ate whatever crap was easiest or not eat at all. My exercise was walking from my bed to my easy chair or driving to the store. Now my place is clean, decorated in a way that brings me peace (including plants I remember to water). I exercise daily and I care enough about me I fix nutritious meals from scratch, because like Julia Childs, I'm worthy of my own best care and maintenance. I read, meditate, say hi to people I pass on the streets. I am gaining self respect and maybe a measure of love for myself and the world knowing we're all a part and a parcil. Just wanted to share because maybe I needed to see it in wring for me. Tonight, talapia with fresh salsa, baked sweet potato, salad and iced tea. Thank you all for being apart of it.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

isnt it amazing what we can do to change our world when we really decide that enough is enough...and it's time to take care of number one.
i did the same as you and my world turned a hundred and eighty degrees.
thank you for your post.and i hope we never look back to the mess that our lives once were
Old 07-24-2011, 05:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

So happy that you have the 'sparkle'....It's nothing but peace...So glad you have it. Nothing else like it
Old 07-24-2011, 05:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

And, isn't wonderful to have the perspective to see how you've changed.

Like you, I never cared for myself or about myself. I didn't think that anything about me or my needs was worth dealing with. I am so grateful for the clarity of recovery.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Fitz - I love reading your posts!
Old 07-24-2011, 07:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

that is very inspiring! thanks and good job
Old 07-24-2011, 09:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I love this uplifting post, Fitz! This kind of turnaround doesn't come without focus and hard work. It's inspiring. I feel like cleaning my house, and that happens once in a blue moon.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wellwisher
Fitz - I love reading your posts!
I do too! Was just telling my bf how there's this dude on SR who always has such awesome, down-to-earth, positive, and wise words to say