Notices

New, Scared & Alone...

Old 07-24-2011, 04:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New, Scared & Alone...

Hi all, I'm new here and have spent some time reading your posts...some of which have had me crying so hard.
I hope I'm not wasting anyone's time...I'm an alcoholic (26 years old) and have been for as long as I can remember. Unfortunately I haven't quit yet, however, I am at a stage in life where I am losing everything and I'm so scared.
I want desperately to be sober and have visited the doctor on several occasions, which has lead to a significant cut-down in my alcohol consumption, I just can't take that 'final-step' and I don't know what to do.
I told my (ex)partner (who is also an alcoholic) that I was going to get help two months ago, he was good about this and said he would be there to support me...one week later he spent every night getting more drunk than usual and putting drinks under my nose and telling me to 'fail'. He has since said he doesn't want me anymore and is kicking me out...I feel so alone and don't know what to do, he hates me and is now hitting me because I'm trying to get help...
Sorry to go on, I'm so confused and scared. The anxiety and shakes are driving me insane and now I'm alone with the prospect of being made homeless... Please help. x
Old 07-24-2011, 04:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
...is awesome!

awwwww mate! breathe. it will be ok. you have come to THE best place to help you on this journey. There is absolutely light at the end of the tunnel...i promise. There is so much positive to be made from your current situation. I was in a similar place nearly a year ago and have been sober since. I am 27 now, a year ago I was on the brink of losing my kids, my home...my mind. I still have those things (well the mind is taking some time!), and I feel well and im sober. Now that im stronger I will never EVER let a man stay in my heart a moment after he lays a hand on me (karma will get his bum). He is weak, scared and desperately frightened of losing his drinking buddy he cant handle seeing your own desperate fight to be sober (no excuse for his behaviour, but its not your fault ok). You can do this. We will help. You will see. Take care my friend
Old 07-24-2011, 05:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thinking of you

just read your post and really had to say something, not sure what, but to offer my support. i'm 38 and also an alcoholic, have a bf who is an alcoholic. he also wavers between support and his love of beer. Further he has gotten abusive during our "fun" drunken nights together. This is only my second post and have not drank for a week so can't give the whole "it'll be better" speech, but lordy, wish i could swoop in and help you out.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You really need to get out of that abusive situation. Seeing a doctor to detox is the best thing you can do. You CAN do this. Try and surround yourself with people that love and care about you. You are worthy. Your ex is a coward. If you stay, the abuse will get worse. Believe me. This site has so many people that are in or have been in the same situation that you are. It is like a family here. Good luck love. Prayers for you.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
TenYearsGone

If he is a person who wants you to fail at your attempts to better your life, he is not a person worth your time, energy, love or respect. If you truly want to get sober, there HAS TO be a way to get out of this abusive situation. You may have to call on family or sober friends if you have any. Reach out to your loved ones for help, talk to your doctor about the whole situation. "Where there's a will, there's a way" is really true. I'm glad you have come here for some support!! I wish you all the happiness in the world. Create the life YOU want. It might seem impossible from where you now stand, but it is true that we are creating our realities in every moment. You are powerful & you can have the life you dream of. Choose it!
Old 07-24-2011, 09:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR, both alone84 and 2ndround4cnl.

I do hope you find the support, compassion and hope I have found here.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Alone84 and 2ndround4cnl
I'm sorry you both have had support struggles.
I think whenever a relation is abusive it's time to re-evaulate.

There's a great sticky in the Friends and Family forum:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...out-abuse.html

You'll both find support here - 24/7

Welcome!
D
Old 07-24-2011, 05:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ten years ago, my spouse entered recovery, begging me to join her. I didn't, so I lost her.

I never abused her physically, but I did everything in my power to demonstrate to her that drinking was OK.

If recovery is what you seek, please find protection among family or friends. Admit to them what you are trying to do. They will help you, if they are true friends and good family.

I've only been sober for 10 months, but I do know this: Seeking others in recovery for advice and support works. Period.

Any schmuck who hits you isn't worthy of you.