Notices

R.I.P. Amy Winehouse

Old 07-23-2011, 07:24 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Obviously Amy Winehouse was one of the "unfortunates." Wake up call is that some don't seem to even have a choice (as much as others would like to believe). As in, the addiction is a mental illness, co-morbid with other mental illnesses.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:44 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

It's a terrible tragedy but I guess what irritates me is the incessant need for 'street cred' by artists today. If her music was about her struggles with vice it would be one thing but on the contrary it seemed a lot like a celebration. Many of her lyrics were glamorizations of abuse.

From a human perspective it's awful to lose someone to addiction and I feel for her family but nobody here couldn't see this coming.

It didn't seem like there was any shortage of people trying to reach out to her yet she chose to go the route of trying to being a badass and attempting to attain some sort of street cred via the use of heavy drugs and self destructive behavior. That was a choice. It's tough to feel a whole hell of a lot of sympathy for that. Every single person here had to make a choice for themselves whether to quit or keep going.

The choice to keep going shows courage.

This just reeks of a young, modestly talented artist taking a predictable turn into clichéd, pseudo-tragic, premature rock star death when she was already so close to fading into obscurity.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:02 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

There but for the grace of God go I.

RIP Amy.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:06 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Maybe some people can learn from Amy's demise. Then at least some good can come from her misfortune.

I'm always sad to hear of an addict's death, but it helps me to stay sober. I'm sorry she had to die.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:12 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Shape-Shifting Super-Hero

Originally Posted by BobGT View Post
Maybe some people can learn from Amy's demise. Then at least some good can come from her misfortune.

I'm always sad to hear of an addict's death, but it helps me to stay sober. I'm sorry she had to die.
I agree.

Kurt Cobain, Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin and Jimi Hendix all died at the same age, under similar circumstances. It just seems cold to say they had it coming, due to somehow glamorizing a rock-star life-style. I think it is sad they all died so young, having so much to offer. Street cred? That's nothing new among rock-stars, nor is the tragic outcome of so many addictions.

I hope her and her music give folks a wake up call. I know it did for me.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:36 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've removed several posts from this thread, in the hope we can focus on what I think is the salient point here - another young person has lost their life due to addiction.

thanks

D
Old 07-23-2011, 08:41 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I was shocked when I read the news yesterday. It was such a wake-up call for me. As it's been said on here: This could have been any of us at some point. Well, at least I for one know that this could have been me. It's easy to judge from distance, but who knows what was really going on in her life? There must have been so much pressure from EVERYONE. Family, her team around her, the label heads wanting to make big bucks, the fans who adored her, the public eye with many was just waiting for the next failure... I'd say that makes recovery even harder. Could you cope with it? Sure, she likely had so many helping hands, but who was to trust?

I spent some time yesterday listening to old stuff from her, reading interviews and the like. It's just so sad. She actually spoke a lot about her demons and her point of view... Some will say she just wasn't ready for help yet.

I'm of the school of thought where, if you can't sort something out for yourself, no one can help you. Rehab is great for some people but not others.
If I died tomorrow, I would be a happy girl.
Here's hoping that she is in a better place now.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:43 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lpnangel View Post
Very sad. I have heard some really mean comments about her today. People without addiction have no clue
i agree, i stopped looking at some news websites because of all the petty stuff people were saying.

she made her choices alright but i doubt if anyone that young can fully comprehend that they won't see thirty, no matter how much factual evidence she may have been shown. i'd like to think her death will make people who respected her think differtently about the lure of drugs and booze but sadly they're more likely to think 'live fast die young' like her fate is some glamourous thing to aspire to.

debs
Old 07-23-2011, 08:47 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I loved her music and I listened to the lyrics with complete understanding as she sang about her struggles. Seeing her downward spiral in the public eye helped me to understand where I could go.

Rest in peace Amy.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:50 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I really liked her. All her disasterous beauty. I thought she was talented just tortured by addiction.
I am far from shocked. Its what was expected IMO.
Being an addict and in the media. Imagine being under a microscope like that.
I have nothing but the utmost respect for anyone who finds and keeps recovery, But to do it under a watchful eye at that like these celebrities do. Wow.
It doesnt make them any better or worse, but it has to be tough to have your every move critisized like that.
I am very sad that another life has been lost to this horrible evil addiction.
My thoughts go out to her family. I hope she finally finds peace.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:26 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Another famous face to a sad ordinary reality that drugs kill. Drugs are an equal opportunity destroyer.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:23 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

That's sad. not much older then me.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:28 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

At the end of the day...it is just dreadfully sad.

Not because of who she was, but because Amy and many other alcoholics/addicts like her have succumbed to this horrid thing called addiction before they were able to help themselves or find the help they needed to recover.

I hope she, and all the other sad souls lost to addiction, are finally at peace.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:36 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

I hope she is somewhere without torment and at peace. Many of us share her inner demons and could so easily go down that road. A real wake up call...

I am disgusted to read some comments by people (not here thankfully) about her death. Has society sunk so low that it's become acceptable to derive a sick pleasure from the downfall of a tortured individual? We live in a cold world.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:49 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Maybe God rescues those who suffer on Earth.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:21 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

She was a victim. So sad. How many times has talent been lost to torment? May she rest in peace. May others learn.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:24 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

RIP Amy. It's wonderful to see the level of compassion here among you people that is too absent in a society that treats an addict's death as joke material. Thank all of you for that.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:28 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

This might not sit well with some... and I've thought hard about all the Amy Winehouse thread posts the past couple of days. I have mixed feelings.

My mom died a little over a year ago, from complications of a drug overdose... that was more than likely intentional (she'd had a history of overdosing in suicide attempts). There's a big part of me that finds solace in knowing she finally did it... Some people don't want to live in this world. You can argue it's their addiction doing their thinking for them... maybe it is, I don't know. I know I don't have that same death wish though. I do know my mother was a tortured soul. And if she wanted to leave, well part of me is glad she got what she wanted.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:55 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
IO Storm

This could have been me, almost was me, more than once. Dear God, than you for my sobriety! Such a tragic loss of a young life. Prayers for Amy's family and all who loved and cared for her. I can't imagine their suffering.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:56 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Toro Solo

so freaking sad... an extremely likely fate that we all face if we keep going in the same direction. I was 32 when I "died" of a heroin overdose (alcohol is my drug of choice but my ability to make smart decisions goes out the window when i drink) the only difference was someone was able to get to me in time to restart my heart.. that and her amazing talent that will be terribly missed..
I pray all of us here find what we need to live a long and happy life.
14 months yesterday,
nn