Notices

And So The Weekend is Here

Old 07-23-2011, 02:58 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think most of us have 'tested' ourselves enough, Bayliss

I dunno about you but I'm not the kind of drinker who could leave a bottle on the counter and only have one a night.

As for your bf, if he really wants booze, let him buy his own...I don't see why you have to buy it or be involved in any way?

I hope you had a good, sober, time

D
Old 07-23-2011, 05:17 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Absolutely no disrespect meant here at all....but if that counselor knew you had a drinking problem and recommended you buy a small bottle of wine anyway, for whatever reason, I think they need to go back to college...
Old 07-23-2011, 08:14 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by bayliss View Post
I do have a question though...do you think that if you choose one day a week to have a couple drinks; is that sabotaging your efforts?
YES.

Do you think it's just going to go back to a daily occurrence?
YES.

I know no one in my family that has a drinking problem or friends that do. I just never thought that it would happen to me.
I am the only one in my family as well. Don't dwell on that too much - just focus on the goal.

I don't plan on drinking...
I recommend that you plan to never drink. There is a difference. "I don't plan on drinking" is passive, and implies that you may drink. Planning to never drink is pro-active. Please think about it.

I have another question...do you guys ever "test" yourself?
I am thinking of getting alcohol for my boyfriend since he wants to drink tonight...I don't know if this is setting myself up for failure...I don't really think so to be honest...but to stick to my non-alcoholic beverages and just let him drink and see how it affects me?
I keep a $50 bottle of single malt Scotch (my favorite!) within easy access at all times at home, along with various wines. I do not recommend that you try this at this stage, however. If your boyfriend wants some alcohol, I recommend that you let him get it by himself, for himself.

I saw a counsellor once who suggested I try to buy a small bottle of red wine, leave it on the counter and only have ONE a night...
Very bad idea. Keep your eye on the ball - you can do this.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:31 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I'm glad you're foregoing the party and hope you don't decide to test yourself by having alcohol sitting around and/or offering to go pick up alcohol for your husband. I mean, why not make it as easy on yourself as possible?

If Sundays are the hardest, plan something you can look forward to. Don't spend the day thinking about Monday. One day at a time...... And remember, this is a process and it's going to feel weird at first.

Keep going........I promise you that you won't ever regret starting the day without a hangover.:day6
Old 07-23-2011, 08:32 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Reset View Post
In your first post you wrote about worrying about needing a drink to have fun. So don't have fun this weekend. Get your head cleared out now and worry about fun later.
that sums up the thing that tripped my up week after week in the past, i'd wake up on the monday full of good intentions but by the weekend because i work pretty hard the lure of 'fun' = drink kicked in and i'd fall every time.

bayliss i hope you're making it okay, i really feel you on the weekend thing, and yeah don't 'test' yourself, i'm only under a month sober myself and i asked for a minibar to be emptied last week because i know i'm nowhere near ready to have alcohol handy yet, call it what you will it's just a silly thing to try because the consequences if you lose are so bad.
it was my experience that each weekend ive got sober under my belt so far has made the next one a bit easier because i'm not associating the two things as strongly any more, fwiw.

debs
Old 07-25-2011, 09:00 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

Bayliss, I'm sure many of us here have tried to keep our relationship with our drug of choice intact through moderation at some point in time, but inevitably, even if we succeed at "keeping it to one drink a night" (or whatever version of moderation we try) for one night or twenty, an alcoholic always ends up fully in the grips of the addiction again (and usually worse so). Abstinence or full-fledged alcoholism are our only two options. There is no middle ground or shade of grey. I'm fortunate that the two relapses I've had were short-lived ("a headful of recovery and a belly full of beer don't mix") and didn't cause any real damage...and I say I'm fortunate because I made it back safely; not everyone does. Please don't test yourself...life will do that enough on its own.

--Fenris.