Notices

Made it last night, now the weekend

Old 07-22-2011, 05:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Edwardm

Made it last night, now the weekend

First, I want to thank everyone for there support on my first time here. You can take pride in the fact that you helped, at least one person (me), from drinking one more day. I am now 4 days sober. I will be looking for support all weekend, if I make the weekend it will be the first time in several years. Everyone of you were correct; I feel great today and have no guilt. After years of building this addiction, I know feeling good can also be a trap when this evening comes and the brain starts to rationalize why I can have a drink. I don't know if this is appropriate but I bought some soda (not coke like I usually mix with- actually Squirt, haven't had it in years) and when I came home from work I followed my same routine but only drank the soda. I followed that all night with water. A fair amount of insomnia, I know this is part of the WD. I got up at 4:30 am to take the dogs for a walk. I felt wonderful, the starry sky was beautiful, the temperature 82. I thought of your support and how I made it last night, I was proud.

Now comes another day and another battle. I'm only concentrating on today and have planned to see a movie late this afternoon with my son. This will keep me from drinking; the big step will be when I get home. Typically, I would slam several whiskey's fast as soon as I walked through the door. Tonight I will fight. Feel free to keep the encouragement coming- It Helped!
Old 07-22-2011, 05:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I do not know anyone I can talk to about my addiction in real life, so this site has often been a lifesaver. It has done a lot to help my recovery and I am glad it is helping you.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well done on the four days sober; that's a great start. It's been quite a while since I was last on this forum, so I'm not sure what the etiquette is, but I found trying to stop drinking by just 'stopping drinking' didn't work for me. I slowly got ground down - it's like Japanese water torture - to the point where I drank again.

For me, I found the face-to-face support of a local A.A. meeting being the turning point in my own recovery and I've over two years sober now.

I truly wish you the best whatever path to recovery you choose.

Regards,

Tosh
Old 07-22-2011, 05:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It sounds like you're doing great. I am sure someone has mentioned an in-person support network can really help.

Friday nights were my biggest hurdle on weekends. I would drink a lot and often become belligerent in a black out! So, early in my sobriety, I would go to a film every Friday night instead. It took some time, but the trigger is much easier to deal with now. As time has passed, I've built up a number of skills and activities to keep me calm and living in the solution.

If you feel it getting very difficult, focus on not drinking for an hour at a time. Listen to some music. Read SR on the 'net. Whatever it takes. It gets easier.

You're off to a great start. Imagine how great you'll feel waking up Monday morning feeling like an X-Man!
Old 07-22-2011, 06:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

IME the 'first' everything is hard. First day sober, first weekend sober, first Christmas, first REALLY bad day, first birthday (upcoming for me) etc.

But with each one I got a sense of security and calm and a little perspective, too. As an alcoholic (even in recovery) I am still prone to . As time passes I'm calming down a little bit. I hope you find the same thing.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Its a fight worth winning and after awhile its no longer a fight but being sober becomes part of who you are. Way to go.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I come here the minute I wake up, read a bit and have to have a morning cry. Living life sober is just so beautiful and to read that others are experiencing this together is such a gift. If I want you you to make it through this weekend then how could I ask less of myself? Glad you're feeling it!
Old 07-22-2011, 06:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SSIL75 View Post
IME the 'first' everything is hard. First day sober, first weekend sober, first Christmas, first REALLY bad day, first birthday (upcoming for me) etc.

But with each one I got a sense of security and calm and a little perspective, too. As an alcoholic (even in recovery) I am still prone to . As time passes I'm calming down a little bit. I hope you find the same thing.
I'm looking forward to making it through a family function. Oh, and kids birthday parties.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Edwardm

Thank you very much. You have encouraged me.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Englishrose70

Edward you can do it, last weekend was my first and the fear of it was far worse than the reality. That said, I wont lie it had its moments and it wasnt easy, but they soon paled into insignificance at my sense of personal achievement when I woke up on Saturday and Sunday, hangover free and full of hope and a zest for life.

This is what is going to carry me through this weekend I know, that and the thought that Monday will be 2 weeks and it doesnt seem a minute since day 4 like you, it really doesnt.

The craving is the alcohol WD not you, it will pass, even though its horrid at the time, it does pass.

We are all behind you and LETS GET THROUGH THIS WEEKEND TOGETHER. SR