Notices

What is "the plan" I keep hearing about?

Old 07-21-2011, 10:56 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I guess for me havinga plan meant:
what will you do if a craving hit: usually, do not drink and go around the block for a walk was and is a good plan. However if that fails I obviously need to think about something else maybe more effective. I am always trying to identify potential triggers and then define if this trigger hits I will : walk around the block, if I cannot go for a walk I will start eating ice cream (even I could not drink wine after I ate ice cream) etc..... So these are my setups. Also I try to keep myself busy, try not to have any wine in the house to be tempted in the evenings and if I feel overwhelemed I try to distance myself and first do nothing, wait it out and then make a rational decision.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:05 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Another thought on the "plan" may be dealing with the issues that were causing you to drink in the first place, if applicable. Soul searching, for lack of a better word.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:54 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I often thought I had a plan (prior to Jan 1 this year) to stop drinking which consisted of trying harder and harder to control drinking or to limit my drinking, or to take some short time off from drinking, or to just drink wine, or just beer, or just shots cause I was getting fatter. None of these "plans" focused on not drinking at all. I decided enough was enough and I really needed to jump in with both feet and have a "plan" whose primary purpose was to NOT drink first, then work on other parts of me second. I decided to make a small investment - I started seeing an addition counselor once a week for support (and it has made a world of difference). It is a small investment of about 60 bucks a week (insurance pays lucky me) and for one year of help, a small price to pay of about 3,000 dollars. Now how do you justify NOT getting that kind of help - and adding that to your "plan"
Old 07-21-2011, 01:35 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I have my basic plan to live sober.

I have my backup plan to stay sober.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:53 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by onlythetruth
Sometimes the best plan is to commit not to drink and participate in life. In the end, that's what it's all about anyway.
That's perfect for a quote in someone's signature! Simple and profound. Right on, OTT!