SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   A little bit of a peculiar question.... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/232183-little-bit-peculiar-question.html)

refrigerator 07-22-2011 11:38 PM

Wow good thread. I actually do slam tea and soda now that I don't drink booze. My therapist and I even discussed it and he said if it works, then go with it. So far it's worked.

Itchy 07-23-2011 12:04 AM

I never liked any of the fake alcohol drinks when I was drinking, why would I drink that nasty stuff now?

I used to drink a half gallon of kool aid a day when I was a kid and always had a mug of coffee in hand as an adult before I started drinking heavy in my mid 30's. I now have about a gallon of crystal light drinks and tea, after a couple of pots of coffee, and lots of real teas with herbs like Lipton's Green tea with Passionfruit and Jasmine, yum. I used to drink tons of diet cola, but I got off the carbonated drinks entirely too.

I use non alcohol mouthwash and I never even knew there was such a thing.

kbeen 07-23-2011 12:32 AM

What is wrong with coffee?

First the question: Everything I read says to stay away from coffee. I was wondering if anyone knows the scientific/medical reason for this, such as what is happening to the brain that makes coffee exceptionally bad for alcoholics, as opposed to non alcoholics?

Is it simply just about switching one addictive substance with another?

I too always have something next to me, either plain soda water or regular water with a lot of lemon juice poured into it (I used to hate soda-water, and anything with bubbles but beer).

After about 15 days of quitting, I started getting bored with those, and I don't like sweet things, so I started making scorching hot water with lemon juice, so I could only sip it, getting the hand-to-mouth feeling without having to get up to pee every ten minutes.

Then, at some point, despite what I read, I had some coffee nice and thick and black. within a few days I was up to 20 cups a day and my hands were shaking so hard my wife thought I had started drinking again, quit again, and was going through withdrawal again. It was back to the doctor for me who also didn't believe me (but who can blame them?)

Anyway, quit coffee about a week ago with no special withdrawal symptoms, but now, even as I write this, I am contemplating that cup of coffee, just as much as I do a cup of gin. I am telling myself - if I pour some tabasco into my coffee, I can still get the caffeine, but I just wont drink as much because it tastes like crap...

What is the medical explanation for this?

RyanRed 07-23-2011 01:06 AM

Green tea by my side all the time :) LOVE the stuff. But I actually think I just enjoy the relaxing feeling I get from a hot drink. In my first month of being sober I started drinking it, and it seemed to help calm me down. Then I started drinking massive amounts of green tea, and the caffeine started screwing with my anxiety. So I switched to decaf tea.

But yes, I feel naked without a drink with me usually. It doesnt have to be in my hand, but within arms reach.

As for the above post about staying away from coffee if your an alcoholic, I really wouldnt know. Most AA meetings are religious about their coffee drinking lol. The only thing I could think of is new people to recovery may suffer from anxiety like myself (its getting WAY better by the way), and caffeine only amplifys it. Thats my best guess.

-Ryan

concor 07-23-2011 02:05 AM

I also tend to have water, tea or the occasional soda close at hand. I did the same before I quit drinking. However, before I quit I'm fairly certain it was mostly due to being dehydrated much of the time.

bayliss 07-23-2011 07:03 AM

Hmmm...not sure what that is about KBeen...caffeine is addictive in itself and I guess you subbed one addiction for another? It's unfortunate that the people around you thought that you went back to drinking.
I definitely get the shakes when I have coffee...I try to avoid it though since it does wonders {the bad kind} for my anxiety.
I really don't think that having coffee is a bad idea...I know a lot of people that drink lots of coffee...especially people that suffer migraines believe it or not, their docs tell them that it's okay to stay on 'em because the caffeine helps {just like caffeine is in tylenol, etc}.
Have you stopped drinking coffee all together...?? Are you drinking anything else that have caffeine in it??

The reason I thought I was a bit of a joke was because there was a bit of alcohol in these non-alco beverages. I genuinely like the taste of one. I really do not like de-alcoholized wine or beer...I know when I first tried to quit drinking I reached for those and at that time I definitely played mind games with myself...I guess baby steps right?
But I definitely need a glass of something right next to me at all times...it's that "motion"...
I don't think that it's leading me to go towards the "harder stuff"...mind you, I am very new at this and am a bit naive...

Argh...I don't know...:gaah

Symmetry 07-23-2011 07:13 AM

Omg! take away my beer before my coffee!

BunnyLoves 07-23-2011 09:12 AM

Caffeine in general is GOOD for you. I used to be quite into nutrition and fitness before my alcoholism took over a few yrs back. TOO much caffeine is bad because it can cause high blood pressure and heart issues. The max dose for women who have no blood pressure/heart issues is 400 mg per day. Healthy men can consume up to 600mg per day. Again, this is for HEALTHY individuals who see their doctor yearly for checkups. Hope this info helps.

BunnyLoves 07-23-2011 09:15 AM

PS: Not trying to be a know it all, either, lol. My brother is law is a contest winning body builder, he's been doing that for years, and he's a natural builder, which means he does not rely on any stimulant other than coffee/tea for energy. He told me that caffeine in moderate doses helps the brain focus, and it does speed up the metabolism SLIGHTLY, to help burn off a few extra calories. But in excess it can be dangerous, like any other stimulant. In my opinion, anyone who tells an alcoholic not to enjoy caffeine is completely ignorant!!:gaah

Itchy 07-23-2011 11:40 AM

Coffee is the only vice I have had that the "experts" can't find anything wrong with nor find anything other than overdoses and nerves. If you have heart issues or are a panic/anxiety prone person then it goes without saying that any stimulant is risky.

Now I have already quit drinking my alcohol and quit smoking my cigarettes. I have done that and very peacefully. I admitted I was powerless etc. I now have 10 months sobriety and it is very nice, and I can still enjoy my cups of coffee. Some tips below.

STAY AWAY FROM MY COFFEE! I MEAN IT! I AM ARMED AND CAN TAKE HOSTAGES! :wild