Notices

Not sure where I "belong"

Old 07-20-2011, 09:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not sure where I "belong"

Hi, I've been lurking around this site for a couple weeks, and thought today I would introduce myself. I'm womaninprogress.

I found this site looking for help for my now XABF. I kicked him out two weeks ago, again. But upon reading some of the posts, thought it might be a good place for me as well.

I'm just not sure where I fit in. Alcohol has always been in my life. I could fill pages and pages of the effects alcohol has had on my life, but most of it is from the people in my life's relationship with alcohol. Alcoholic parents, siblings, aunts, uncles, cousins, nieces, boyfriends.....you get the picture.

I've often had to take a step back and look at my own relationship with alcohol. By some standards I'm sure I would be labled an alcoholic, and people who are alcoholics have told me I have no idea what alcoholism is like. So I guess it's for me to figure out.

I think I come here for support, and to figure out...?? alot of things. Mostly I need tools to learn how to fix myself. I want to be healthy and happy. Right now I'm angry at God, I'm angry at alcohol, I'm angry at myself, angry at my family, angry at my X, and heartbroken and miserable. Woman in progress...searching for enlightenment.

I just wanted to finally put something out there, and begin on my path and welcome you all to be a part of it. Lord knows I need all the help I can get. Wish there were an instruction manuel or map or some simple way through all this. But I guess it's the journey that will teach me the lessons I need to get to my destination.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

welcome womaninprogress

i am a total newbie myself, but i have found sr to be an amazing place for support.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome! I am also fairly new to this site but I know that you are in the right place to find the support you are looking for! I have done a lot of reading and learning since finding SR. You might want to visit the Friends and Family threads, there are many there who have been in the same place that you are and can offer huge bundles of advice and support.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi, Welcome. I've been coming on this site for about 2 weeks now. It has helped me out a lot. It's good to talk to others that are going threw the same things you are. I myself am now 36 days sober. It's had lots of up's and downs. But trust me, it's for the best. You'll feel better in the long run. Best of luck too you.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

Welcome to SR, womaninprogress. You've come to the right place to figure things out and I hope you find the answers you're looking for. For the most part, I've found that anger isn't very useful in recovery -- for a lot of alcoholics (myself included), resentment and anger is the internal poison that keeps leading us to the external one. But anger doesn't just disappear all by itself, so the first thing I would suggest to you is to find a somewhat healthy way to release it, maybe by writing down your resentments in a journal, or sharing them here, or finding an inanimate object to beat the **** out of (my favorite is taking an axe to an old dead oak tree in my backyard).

--Fenris.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your kind words.

I realize how the anger is only hurting myself, but I think I just need to feel it and work through it. I've been powerwalking and writing it out alot. I feel a little better today then I did yesterday, so I'll take that small victory.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

to SR.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR
Old 07-20-2011, 10:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! Glad you are feeling better today.

I came here as someone who had quit crack cocaine 6 months earlier, had been lurking here for over a year, and decided to log on. I "fit" in the substance abuse forum. However, I also found the Friends & Family forums and found out I "fit" there, too, as I have loved ones who are A's (addicts/alcoholics).

I actually found that I get good ES&H in a lot of forums, even if it's not an issue with me (like the alcoholism forum...I did drink, years ago, but put it down without a problem).

I think if you read around, you'll find the same thing. We have some differences, but there are a lot of similarities on different forums...addiction affects us in many ways.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 07-20-2011, 12:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
TenYearsGone

Hi womaninprogress, I feel like I'm a woman in progress, too. I hope you find the hope, support & strength here that you seek.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Let me add my welcome, womaninprogress.
Look around, read and post as much as you like.

You'll find a lot of support here

D
Old 07-20-2011, 02:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm new here too, and I can certainly fit into double categories myself. My husband has been an addict for years and years. Everything from coke, to ecstacy, to meth....most common was alcohol and week. The past two years it's been oxycontin.
I have smoke pot daily for many years. I've quit through 2 pregnancies, but I always go back. I blame HIM for me turning to weed....the stress is so much. The fact is that I am as dependent on marijuana as he is on the pills....just more functional. I only smoke at night, and not every night. Only when it gets too much to handle.
I often think I don't have a problem, just him.
Stay here, these people are amazing and you'll find tons of support and people who are just like who that won't judge you.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Womaninprogress! Glad you're here. I'm sure you'll fit right in...

Originally Posted by womaninprogress
I've often had to take a step back and look at my own relationship with alcohol. By some standards I'm sure I would be labled an alcoholic, and people who are alcoholics have told me I have no idea what alcoholism is like. So I guess it's for me to figure out.
By being honest and self-aware... and you sure seem to be... you've just taken a huge step toward your own progress. And it matters not where you fall on the spectrum... if it's causing you distress, then all that matters is you recognize that and take action
Old 07-20-2011, 04:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I too read that line about your relationship with alcohol and that you need to look at it. Be gentle with yourself but as far as alcohol and labels just stop drinking for 30 days. Completely. If you can't then label yourself but what is the point? If you can then don't label yourself. I read here that "What other people think is none of my business." So give it a try, and decide what YOU think. Then you may find rapid progress.