Notices

2 days and cravings are starting up.....

Old 07-19-2011, 06:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

2 days and cravings are starting up.....

Has anyone heard of Librium by chance? I posted yesterday that I was going to start my road to recovery and tonight I am coming on my 48th hour. I went to see my doctor today and based on a series of questions, she said my symptoms sounded like they would be mild to moderate but just in case prescribed me Librium 25mg 1-4 capsules as needed every 8 hours.

Anyone had any experience with Librium and can you tell me if there are any side effects? I am not seeking medical advice, just want to know if anyone has had any experience with it.

So far, I am not doing too bad. Finally was able to sleep last night. Had sweats all night long well into wee hours of the morning. Today has not been too bad up until about now when I am starting my evening cravings.....ugh. I know I can make it through though. I am committed.

Thanks for listening.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hi kc, after our brief conversation on your previous thread, about not being able to sleep and such, I was thinking about you today. Really glad you have seen your doctor and got some help with detoxing.

Glad you are pushing on with this. It's totally worth it

I've no experience of Librium, but I know quite a few people on here have. I just wanted to touch base with you and let you know you are doing GREAT!!!
Old 07-19-2011, 06:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Its pretty common stuff, I think I got it in detox once. I can't speak for side effects because my detoxing kind of colored everything. Going to your doctor and following his advise is a smart move. Better than doing it alone like my go around.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Never heard of that; is that an opium blocker?

Just do what you need to make it through the next week without relapsing. I can guarantee that after at least a week or two, it will be at least noticeably easier to put your cravings aside. For me, the biggest thing that got me so many times when trying to quit using CNS stimulants was the depression that occurred in the absence of the euphoria I was used to experiencing everyday.

When I say do what you need to do to keep cravings at bay, don't substitute other substances. For me, even though I try to limit my video game playing in general, I found that allowing myself to play more games in my first two or three weeks of recovering made the process easier. If you have plenty of time to do recreational things, away from your daily obligations, do what you need to not be bored. I repeat, *dont* allow yourself to be bored at first.

Good luck to you.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Librium is a trank, like Valium and the other benzos. The sedative effects are to keep your bp down and avoid seizures during w/d.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Librium is given frequently. I have seen people take it with good results. I am glad you went to your physician. Withdraws can be very scary.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! I certainly don't want to replace one habit with another. My doctor said my blood pressure is high. She is running baseline blood work and I am going back in on Friday to follow-up with her to make sure blood pressure isn't getting worse, symptoms aren't getting worse, etc.

I really appreciate all the support. And, yes boredom is the one thing that I am realizing makes it more difficult and makes me start to negotiate with myself. But, so far I am staying strong and am telling myself I can do this.

Why is it that we can't just be happy being alive, why does the alcohol have to make life more exciting? So very sad. I have children, how can I be bored? I have a full-time job, a husband....what in life can be so boring that I have to drink it all away. Just don't understand.

Have a good night everyone!