Notices

Look at how BIG you are and how little that is!!

Old 07-19-2011, 01:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Look at how BIG you are and how little that is!!

I say this to my kids whenever they get afraid of something insignificant like an insect or a small animal or something of that nature. I bring this up because I feel like it applies. I wholeheartedly believe that we as human beings were not put here to get pushed around by little bottles, cans; what have you. We are much bigger in this regard. Nothing is insurmountable.

just a little food for thought.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Nice perspective, AlDorado
Old 07-19-2011, 01:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great post! Breaking an addiction has alot to do with changing your perception of the problem. If you are interested in using similar methods in recovery do some research on neuro linguistic programing.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Remember, we are dealing only with alcohol. It is neither cunning nor baffling nor powerful. It is an inanimate substance which sits on the shelf until it is taken and consumed.

Our addicted minds, on the other hand...
Old 07-19-2011, 06:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Thank you AlDorado.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zencat View Post
Thank you AlDorado.
anytime!
Old 07-20-2011, 02:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AVRT View Post
Remember, we are dealing only with alcohol. It is neither cunning nor baffling nor powerful. It is an inanimate substance which sits on the shelf until it is taken and consumed.

Our addicted minds, on the other hand...
I concur.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I worked with problem teens for quite a while and whenever I'd catch them with cigarettes I would tell them the story of how I quit cigarettes.

Being an incurable rebel I have always had problems with authority and hated being told what to do. It occurred to me one day that the cigarette companies were doing that very thing to me. They were controlling me. I hated that thought. HATED it. I finally managed to kick the habit and have been without cigarettes for over ten years.

I told the kids that these cigarette companies were controlling them by first roping them in with their advertising and marketing and then keeping them for lifetimes by making them addicted to nicotine. I told them that if they were so rebeblious than why would they allow themselves to be controlled so easily? Some kids quit for the same reasons and others continued but the point is I am very much beginning to see the light with alcohol. It's all over television, In magazines. Glamorized in movies, likened to sports and in many cases a sport in and of itself in some circles.

It's out of gas and I feel good to be able to say I am sober another day.