Notices

Why is quitting so scary?

Old 07-19-2011, 06:58 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Everything in the world seemed scary to me at my lowest points. Answering the phone, not answering it, other people, being alone, strangers, my dearest friends . . .that I'd never live without all the fear. . . .
Old 07-19-2011, 07:57 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
TenYearsGone

I can really relate, Cerberus! It is scary to change, scary to think about how I'll handle being in social settings where most people are drinking, but not me. Scary to think about things I would have done while drinking, but now doing them sober. I hope it gets less scary & easier!
Old 07-19-2011, 10:18 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TenYearsGone View Post
I can really relate, Cerberus! It is scary to change, scary to think about how I'll handle being in social settings where most people are drinking, but not me. Scary to think about things I would have done while drinking, but now doing them sober. I hope it gets less scary & easier!

It does get less scary (actually it gets not scary at all, and even gets fun again).

But be patient, don't rush right back into social situations unless you're really ready. By "really ready" I mean not that scared.

Sorry if that sounds like circular reasoning. It is I guess but once you get to that stage I think you'll understand what I mean.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:26 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

When I had once visited a therapist she brought that idea up one morning~ that what if she told me I could never have a sip ever again for the rest of my life. What if at that very moment it was gone and I could never get it back? I came within a hair of having a full blown panic attack; I could only imagine the look in my eyes when that really sunk in to me.

It's horribly scary at first because for me, at least, booze was ingrained into every facet and moment of my living. Just think of how much is spent on planning and prepping daily, all that consuming. Alcohol bores itself into your very core on a very physical, emotional, and spiritual level. When it's gone and it's that sudden, quite a huge loss in my eyes.

I had to accept that it was a [B]real loss[B], however unhealthy it was. I went thru the stages of grief and loss, denial, acceptance, and so on. As I keep moving farther away from day #1 life does get less scary and the great thing is now all those empty little holes made vacant by booze can now be occupied with healthy and meaningful things!