Notices

Trying to Sleep - Help!

Old 07-18-2011, 11:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying to Sleep - Help!

Have made it 24 hours today with nothing to drink. However, tried to go to sleep tonight and while I am exhausted and want to sleep, everytime I start to drift into a deep sleep my body jerks me awake. Now I am too scared to go back to sleep because I am wondering if it means I am going to have a seizure....?

Does anyone have tips on how to calm your nerves (maybe milk, tea, Xanax) or why I am experiencing this? I didn't drink one night last week and the same thing happened and I barely got any sleep that night.

I don't want to drink to avoid this from happening, I really want to get through this and quit the drinking!
Old 07-19-2011, 12:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi kcbf

I understand your worries. Have you ever detoxed at home yourself before? Do you think you MAY be at risk of seizures whilst detoxing? (in that, I mean has your consumption been significant). I know SR has a policy to not give medical advice, so I can't do that, and if you are really worried I think you should see your doctor, or go to your A&E department and tell them you are detoxing from alcohol. They will see you.

I personally wouldn't take the Xanax unless you have been prescribed it specifically for detoxing...throwing something else into the mix isn't going to be pretty

I had terrible insomnia when I first quit. First I got really upset about the lack of sleep, but once I stopped fighting it and just went with it - reading a good book, reading and posting on SR, sipping herbal teas/water etc, it ceased to make me so panicky. There's nothing worse than lying there, willing yourself to go back to sleep and looking at the clock. Ugh!
Old 07-19-2011, 12:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Looks to me like detox symptoms. Its hard to detox, insomnia was typical for me. Rest the best you can...I know that's not going to go well. Then face the new day with courage and hope in your heart'

It may take a wile, but for me the detox symptoms like sleepless nights lessen as sober time increases.

Hang in there buddy.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My body did the jerking awake thing too. And I didn't experience much of a detox at all, for whatever reason. I think it's fairly common to jerk like that. I know people who don't even drink do that. Not sure what it means but I've read it's just a common sleep phenomenon, I think it's from going from one stage of sleep to a deeper one. And since you're detoxing maybe your body is just stuck between those two stages?
Old 07-19-2011, 12:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It is very much common. I faced it too. After 12 days of being sober, I still struggle till 2 am in the night but eventually I go to sleep. The sleep of 4-5 hours without alcohol is much better than 12 hours of unconsciousness under influence of Alcohol. We actually do not sleep under influence of alcohol. It is not natural sleep. If you have been drinking for many years everyday, naturally, your body can not produce the chemicals required to get the natural sleep.

Best thing is to see you Doctor. Yes , I agree that lack of sleep drives us crazy, especially, if you have to work next day. Eventually, it will fade off.. Few sleepless nights are a very small price to pay to get the benefits of being sober.

But as other have mentioned, you shod not take any chances with detox process and must see a Doctor.

Newborn
Old 07-19-2011, 12:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I read that it's called the Hypnic Jerk... Not saying that's definitely what you're having. But google that a see if that's what you think it is. It could be more serious, especially if you're going through a rough detox. Take care!!
Old 07-19-2011, 01:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Pls don't take meds that haven't been prescribed to you, or not prescribed to you for that purpose kcbf.

The bottom line is most of us have some insomia issues in withdrawal....it gets better

Maybe there's something in these common sense hints that may help tho

Insomnia? 42 Simple Tips to Help You Get to Sleep - Insomnia treatment, cures

D
Old 07-19-2011, 08:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

i stopped drinking July 10th and made it three days, yes with shakes and sweats but the was about it until the fourth nite went i woke up in te middle of the night with terrible chest pains and huge electric jolts that would wake me everytime i would try and fall asleep so much so i thought they werer going to be seizures. i woke my partner at 5 am and told him i think we should go to the dr or the hospital. he asked why and i told him that i had been drinking, he actually thought i was clean for almost a month but far from it. alcoholics are the master liars.

we went to the dr for diazepam and my heart was racing so fast he thought i should go to the ER. while there they fast tracked me as i was having my shocks. they gave me some intravenous valium and made me stay overnight. no seizures thank HP but could have been close.

i beg everyone who even considers going cold turkey to fess up to someone and let them know you need help. i thought if i made it past day three i was almost in the clear. NOPE.

Please do not risk it. and if you truly want your desire for alcohol to be gone go thru something like this and see all the support that comes your way, you will not feel alone anymore.

But my biggest warning to everyone is to please dont go cold turkey. it is true that they say you can DIE. and i didnt want to die and i dont want you too either. get some help no matter how hard it is to tell some.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by newwings View Post
Hi kcbf

I understand your worries. Have you ever detoxed at home yourself before? Do you think you MAY be at risk of seizures whilst detoxing? (in that, I mean has your consumption been significant). I know SR has a policy to not give medical advice, so I can't do that, and if you are really worried I think you should see your doctor, or go to your A&E department and tell them you are detoxing from alcohol. They will see you.

I personally wouldn't take the Xanax unless you have been prescribed it specifically for detoxing...throwing something else into the mix isn't going to be pretty

I had terrible insomnia when I first quit. First I got really upset about the lack of sleep, but once I stopped fighting it and just went with it - reading a good book, reading and posting on SR, sipping herbal teas/water etc, it ceased to make me so panicky. There's nothing worse than lying there, willing yourself to go back to sleep and looking at the clock. Ugh!
Thank you for your post. No I have never gone through this before. I went sober 2x one each when I was pregnant with my children and did not experience these things, but then I was not drinking near as much as I have for the past 5 years. Probably have reached 1-2 bottles per night most nights. I am feeling more confident tonight, and you are right, getting up with a book and the BB helps so I am going to embrace it if I have trouble tonight rather than fight it. Thanks for your encouragement.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by whiskeyman View Post
i stopped drinking July 10th and made it three days, yes with shakes and sweats but the was about it until the fourth nite went i woke up in te middle of the night with terrible chest pains and huge electric jolts that would wake me everytime i would try and fall asleep so much so i thought they werer going to be seizures. i woke my partner at 5 am and told him i think we should go to the dr or the hospital. he asked why and i told him that i had been drinking, he actually thought i was clean for almost a month but far from it. alcoholics are the master liars.

we went to the dr for diazepam and my heart was racing so fast he thought i should go to the ER. while there they fast tracked me as i was having my shocks. they gave me some intravenous valium and made me stay overnight. no seizures thank HP but could have been close.

i beg everyone who even considers going cold turkey to fess up to someone and let them know you need help. i thought if i made it past day three i was almost in the clear. NOPE.

Please do not risk it. and if you truly want your desire for alcohol to be gone go thru something like this and see all the support that comes your way, you will not feel alone anymore.

But my biggest warning to everyone is to please dont go cold turkey. it is true that they say you can DIE. and i didnt want to die and i dont want you too either. get some help no matter how hard it is to tell some.
I am so sorry you went through all that whiskeyman, that is so very scary. I did go to the doctor today and she has prescribed me some medication to take as needed and so far I haven't needed it. We will see how tonight goes. My BP is high and she took some bloodwork to see how all else is going. I am going back in on Friday to see what BP is then and results of bloodwork and to see how withdrawal symptoms are coming along. So, she is monitoring me closely. She also asked me a series of questions to gage whether my symptoms seem to be more miled or severe and she said based on her watching me, talking to me and my answers I am in between mild and moderate. But, she said that could change to come 48 hours or more so to monitor myself closely. Thanks for your kind words and caution.

Hang in there and good luck to you in your recovery.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

day 12 and feeling better than i have in years, still shaky, but getting thru it. the worst is in the past, now to move forward.
I have determination this time and nothing, i mean nothing will let me get there again.

Was up last night and the night before with Restless Legs syndrome, had to pace around the living room til 3 am.
it was one of the reasons my drinking started. i learned quickly that if i can drink enuf i can pass out and fall asleep and not have to deal with RLS. But as i read on here once lack of sleep never killed anyone, booze can