SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   What do you do when 'angry' thoughts race? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/232017-what-do-you-do-when-angry-thoughts-race.html)

Tealvertigo 07-18-2011 12:22 PM

What do you do when 'angry' thoughts race?

So lately my sobriety has been fairly easy. However, once in a while, I find myself unable to sleep because my mind is racing with those "this person made me angry" or "life sucks" thoughts that once triggered me to use. I find that I am learning to better deal with them, and I'm not so worried about relapsing immediately with they come up. However, I am concerned about them consuming me in the long run and, eventually, causing me to relapse when substances cross my path.

I find myself accepting that my flaws are my own, and that no one else is accountable for them except for me. However, at times, I continue to struggle with the anger I feel over my perceiving of people being angry with me over my flaws, even if i know, consciously, that they probably don't currently think about those things as much as I do, if at all.

Yes, I am getting therapy, but Rome wasn't built in a day...

sobermax 07-18-2011 12:28 PM

Hello!

Have you ever come across Eckhart Tolle? He speaks very wisely about this, and other things.

Here's one - there are loads more on Youtube.

‪Eckhart Tolle, not reacting to content, www.soundstrue.com‬‏ - YouTube

Dee74 07-18-2011 03:18 PM

It's taken me many years to get the wisdom behind the idea of letting go Teal....& I sometimes still have the occasional sleepless night.

But the fact is...me stewing on something that's happened is only hurting *me*...I'm letting something that hurt me once hurt me again and again and again...

I can't change whatever it is that happened, I'm guessing the other person involved is probably sleeping soundly...so whats the point? :dunno:

Try thinking about the things you should be grateful for, and the good things in your life.

If that doesn't work, I usually get up and watch TV or read a book - whatever...do anything but obsess on this further :)

D

Tealvertigo 07-18-2011 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 3039229)
It's taken me many years to get the wisdom behind the idea of letting go Teal....& I sometimes still have the occasional sleepless night.

But the fact is...me stewing on something that's happened is only hurting *me*...I'm letting something that hurt me once hurt me again and again and again...

I can't change whatever it is that happened, I'm guessing the other person involved is probably sleeping soundly...so whats the point? :dunno:

Try thinking about the things you should be grateful for, and the good things in your life.

If that doesn't work, I usually get up and watch TV or read a book - whatever...do anything but obsess on this further :)

D

Thank you both.

It's very discouraging when you decide to move on with life, and continue to be haunted by anger that you wish you could have just let go. It's not even a matter of me wanting to be angry; it has everything to do with me being used to being angry to the point where, without it, things don't feel right. I can't even begin to want to figure out what's going on in my subconscious right now.

I think I'm more angry at myself than I know, but it manifests itself as being angry at other people.

SomethingBetter 07-18-2011 07:41 PM

I can relate, I was in a pretty good mood today, a co-worker was in a less good mood and I wanted to cheer him up and all he did is point out flaws in me and pointed out how I too have bad days.

It really steamed me good, I felt emotion that I havnt felt in a very long time and what did I do, I blew up... I allowed whatever emotion it was to be transformed straght into deep anger.

I am so disaponted in myself but it's like its this automatic reaction that I am not in control of.

I stayed in this mood all day from about 3PM till now 10PM ish, when I read this thread, it really helps to know I am not alone.

This post probably dont help you much, sorry but your post really did help me, thanks...

Opivotal 07-18-2011 08:02 PM

Letting go of anger and hurt, was one of the hardest things I ever had to do. I realized, it was just those emotions that kept me drinking. I had to let it go. I had to forgive, not for them , but for me. It worked, I'm sober and I'm happier than I've been in a long time. It's just not worth it Teal. Keep going to therapy and working on yourself. You deserve it.

Best Wishes To You!

loveon2legs 07-19-2011 07:46 AM

Oh yes.. the letting go factor!! one I have trouble with to....the thoughts.that swirl in your head....I to worry about that bringing on a relapse...I need to learn not to let things get to me...so hard...one of the hardest I think I have to deal with in sober land...going to see my counselor tomorrow, going to bring this up!! thanks for your post!!

raindancer11 07-19-2011 10:10 AM

This has been a helpful thread for me. You are wise to address this now while it's not directly challenging your sobriety. I've been reading about shame, guilt, perfection and worthiness. It's helping me see that this constant scorekeeping, trying to fit in, image management that I'm doing actually undermines that natural flow of things, the sense of connection that I long for.

Tealvertigo 07-19-2011 12:57 PM

Thanks so much everyone. This really almost ruined my night last night; it only got better when I distracted myself by talking with my dad. One thing I thought about was whether or not it does anything to compare myself to anyone in terms of who is right or wrong about things. I'm still trying to figure that out today.