Notices

Staying Sober through Triggers

Old 07-17-2011, 11:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Staying Sober through Triggers

I took the family camping this weekend and it was a test of everything I've learned about sobriety.

Camping for me traditionally entailed me drinking massive amounts of booze, chilling out by the campfire. Passing out in the tent after everyone else was out.

So this weekend we showed up at the resort, there were people drinking beer everywhere...it started the mind going a bit.

Then my wife decided to turn into monster, popping Xanax and drinking a few wine coolers in front of me while being mean and egotistocal (I can relate to that behavior). Put down after put down, insult after insult.

About 10pm last night I finally got into the car and drove where I could get a cell signal. Called a couple of my AA friends and they walked me back from the ledge.

On a better note, I caught a 12lb Muskie, had a great time fishing with my 8yo boy, and kept 5 months of sobriety intact (even though I had drinking dreams last night).

With experience strength and hope, we can beat this disease.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

sorry it was rough, but I'm glad you made it through SPG

D
Old 07-17-2011, 11:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Englishrose70

StPeteGrad that really did sound tough but you held your resolve under a whole bullet stream of triggers and in the end you did the right thing by removing yourself from the situation and calling your AA supporters. Wow thats pretty amazing, people like you inspire me. I have just got my first week under my belt and stories like yours help newbies like me keep the faith.

Very proud of you and the huge amount of courage and strength you demonstrated. I hope you are equally as proud of yourself.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Awesome job StPete! I love that you called your AA friends rather than picking up a beer. That definitely shows commitment and determination. It's nice because even though camping is a trigger for you, you can experience it as an entirely new event from a sober perspective.