Notices

AA question

Old 07-15-2011, 06:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AA question

My attempts at quitting alone has been complete failure. I've decided that I am going to start AA. I am online right now getting locations and times for a.m. I am wondering if it's better to go to my first couple of meetings OD or go with beginner? I'm leaning more towards open door at first so I can see some old timers there. Maybe find a sponsor. Any suggestions from you new AA attendee's?
Old 07-15-2011, 07:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

LPN - Great decision and great question too!

I could argue both options you presented. So, if you'll kindly allow me punt I will offer a third option...

Go to the next available meeting that accommodates your location and schedule...period.

Following this option gives your alcoholic mind the least opportunity to pick and choose.

Again, awesome choice. I am proud of you!
Old 07-15-2011, 07:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Talking

i am happy for you.. A.A. can make all the difference in being happy in your sobriety. like Ranger said: just GO! find a meeting and jump in.. you will get a good welcome..(be sure to tell them it's your FIRST meeting!)
Old 07-15-2011, 07:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What Ranger said -- just go to the next available meeting.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Early in recovery, I liked the Open meetings better.....just sit, listen and learn. No wasting time thinking about what I'm going to say when it's my turn.

These sorts of meetings are also good ones to find a good sponsor at....usually only the stronger members are asked to share for an hour.....

If your area has closed meetings, with individual tables (8 - 10 ppl per table) like my area does, you may find (like I was) that you're somewhat intimidated - don't know what to say. The deal is, you don't haaaaaave to talk. You can just say your last drink date, that you're here to learn, and pass.

AA questions, even though you're a newcomer, might best be asked in the "12 Step Support" section of this site as most of us AA-rs tend to hand out over there.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Edit

Originally Posted by daytrader View Post
aa questions, even though you're a newcomer, might best be asked in the "12 step support" section of this site as most of us aa-rs tend to hang out over there.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I'm so pleased you will be attending an AA meeting...any form of AA meeting can be the one you need just now...
you are going to meet many of us who are winning over alcohol..you never have to struggle alone again.

Congratulations....
Old 07-16-2011, 03:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

ip
My attempts at quitting alone has been complete failure. I've decided that I am going to start AA
well your off to a great start

steps 1 & 2 right there,

now, haul your ass off to a meeting.

suggestion, find a group with structure, good sobriety, some wisdom,

and that dont take themselves too damm serious (Rule62)

dont drink, go to a meeting, clean house, and trust The Powers That Be

all good wishes ip
Old 07-16-2011, 03:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I prefer big book or step study meetings personally. But just go. Go to several meetings until you find one that clicks for you.

Good luck!
Old 07-16-2011, 03:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you for all your responses. I chose the 10am open discussion. I didn't speak. Just watched. They were kind. Read from a book. I heard some very scary stories too. I will be planning my next meeting. Thank you all for your love and support. I'm staying sober. Yeay me!
Old 07-16-2011, 03:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I really want to go tonight but I have 5 hours of study. Tomorrow definitely. I can't wait to go back.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

You've brightened my day more than you could know, LPN. Thanks, drop us a post or two during your study breaks, and please let us know how your next meeting goes!
Old 07-19-2011, 09:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

i have been attending AA for awhile now and jumped right in and got a sposor. but my sposor fired me as i actually wasnt ready to understand both parts of step one. I understood the powerlessness part but not the unmanageability part.
i thought sine i had a house, was able to take care of my children, pay the bills, etc that it was manageable. it wasnt until i started lying and hiding the fact that i was drinking everyday and telling everyone different dry dates that it became unmangeable. i became someone who never thought i would become. i became the worlds biggest liar to cover up all my problems. but eventually it became to big for me. couldnt keep all the dates straight, who did i tell what to. i couldnt even remmeber myself.

dont jump in to getting a sponsor, just goto a few meetings, i perfer the open as you can sit and listen. i do go to closed and read, but pass when its my turn to speak as i want to "listen and learn", thats what i tell them everytime.

the time will come when you know you can work the steps, properly. dont rush. it took awhile to get where you are and it will take awhile for you to get healthy.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

ipnangel:
Yes, don't rush it. Hang in there and go to meetings. Find a congenial one and a congenial sponsor. Sounds like your life has become unmanageable from what you say on your post. Forgetting stuff, getting mixed up, etc. It can get a lot worse. Job loss, money problems, trouble in the family, trouble with the law, etc. etc. The first step is one of the most important, many say the most important. This involves dealing with the hurdle called "denial", an enormous obstacle to be overcome. It's not easy. Have patience and persist. Good luck.

W.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:39 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Congrats on your new journey ip! Good luck to you!!
Old 07-19-2011, 03:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

get your butt in the seat as soon as you can. good luck.