Notices

how do you do it?

Old 07-14-2011, 06:44 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi Katie,

Welcome! I am only on day 8 so I am in the very beginning of this journey. This is the longest I have gone without a drink in six months. Like Dee said, I am literally taking it one day at a time. I'm not concerned with tomorrow, only today. Today I know I will not drink.

I have been journaling and coming here every day. It helps me to know that I am not alone. I have also changed up my routine. The normal time I started drinking, I have left the house, taken walks, assigned myself a household chore, seen a couple of movies, anything to break up my old habits and routines. It is not easy, however, it is amazing how much better I feel today physically and mentally than just a few days ago. I know it will just get better. Hang in there and know that you are not alone.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:20 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

For me I wanted to stop drinking more than I wanted to drink. That is easier said than done. After a 30 year career of drinking, hiding, shame, guilt, hurting others thru my stupidity, spending money I shouldn't have, ruining everything as I knew it...then losing a good new job...I knew if I didn't quit I'd be out on the streets with nothing. Normally, I am an independant, get'er done kind of person and finding that I didn't care anymore about what happened hurt me emotionally.
I ran to rehab I ran to AA and after 5 months of changing everything about the way I do things and think things thru, I am on the right path to becoming a person I would like to be friends with.
The first step is admitting you have a problem...the next step is seeking the support you will need to be successfull.
Wishing you peace and strength.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:23 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Katie, I am on day three of my new, improved quest for alcohol free living. I have been trying for over a year...made it 40 days, then messed up. Now back on track.

I have realized I can't do it alone, I can't do it privately...but, what I am remembering is the way I felt the many young years of life that I did not drink. I really did not get into this until around 24. I am 40 now.

The things I could do before alcohol, the way I slept, how creative I was, all the sports I played...this is what I am remembering and want again, free from the cloud of alcohol.

What do you remember before alcohol? What do you want again? Find that and find your way...
Old 07-14-2011, 07:36 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You'll find a lot of support here.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:31 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.

I loved to drink and I wasn't a disaster--no arrests, no hospitalizations, still alcohol was definitely killing me. So my decision was a bit of a challenge, but finding SR was pivotal.

The things you will hear here are true. Try a 36 hours test: During whieh you must disassociate yourself from your drinking friends. You must live through it one moment at a time. You cannot drink a little--moderation is a nice idea but, for me and many others, it doesn't work. At the end of 36 hours, and that's all your promising, I'll bet you feel way better than you do now. Then you can shoot for 48, then 72.

I'm on 26 days. I'm finding it easier and easier all the time and my life is clearing up -- not to mention my skin.

Hang in there.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:59 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

It does get easier Katie...but I won't lie to you it will be hard for a while...getting sober was possibly the hardest thing I ever did...but it was also the best

Use the support here, and elsewhere if you find you need it, to help you through - noone does this alone

D