Notices

Hairdresser Hangover

Old 07-14-2011, 06:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hairdresser Hangover

Hi everyone, I have about 19 days at this point without alcohol and feeling very good. I have an appointment coming up to get my hair highlighted and cut. It occurred to me that in the past I would always go to the hairdresser hungover. ALWAYS!!

Why? Well, I would usually go on Saturday mornings, therefore drink on Friday night. My reasoning was really twisted. It went like this:

"Well, all I'm really doing is sitting there in the chair for 2-3 hours, so might as well be hungover. I can get two birds knocked off with one stone! Get through hangover and get hair highlighted at the same time. Very productive! Multi-tasking!"

I can't believe I really used to think like that. I'm looking forward to going to this upcoming appointment without a hangover. But I still have a bit of this mentality in my head that I'm trying to shake. As if by going without a hangover I'm not accomplishing much. It's too easy. Anyone else think like that? I think as addicts/alcoholics we are used to putting ourselves through a lot and sometimes don't know how to cope with just making things easy for ourselves.

Wondering if anyone else can relate...
Old 07-14-2011, 06:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I too went for a new do and color early in my sobriety.....glad you are.
It really makes me feel better when I look good.

I did most everthing with alcohol in my system.
The E. Arden Salon I went to served wine. I changed shops.

Well done on your progress....
Old 07-14-2011, 06:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Lightening Pod,

I can TOTALLY relate. I too always go to get my hairlighted on Saturdays because my husband is home to watch our children. I didn't necessarily plan on multi-tasking through a hair appointment and a hangover at the same time...it just happened that way. I often had extreme anxiety during my later hangovers and I remember my last hair appointment being on the verge of a panic attack. I remember sitting there with all this foil in my hair and thinking I can't just walk out of here if I wanted to. Soooo not a good feeling.

The next time I go, I'll be able to relax and read some trashy magazines without worrying that I am going to flip out under the dryer.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hangovers > multi-tasking

Well, you know, I saw a T.V. show that said the average alcoholic has an I.Q. level 10% higher than an Earthling (non-alcoholic)...so, it stands to reason that you would want to "kill 2 birds with one stone"...i.e. sober up AND get your hair done.

Just don't do it again.

It's like when I relapsed in January, and told the head of my AA group I had relapsed, and he simply said:

"You drank - you do what alcoholics do best....just don't do it AGAIN."

K out
Old 07-14-2011, 07:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

oh I can relate!

I have also never taken a trip without a hangover (all the stress from packing! Drink!). I posted in early recovery how I was at a volunteer thing without a hangover for the first time. Volunteering was my time without my kids. All the more reason to drink!

crazy, crazy stuff. Thanks for the post!
Old 07-14-2011, 08:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

But you have to stare into the mirror the whole time!

And yes, I've been to the hairdresser MANY times hungover. In fact, by happenstance, my hairdresser gracefully attends a favorite bar and we can discuss the bartenders, etc, even though she is much younger than me.

But I recently had a haircut when I was sober. It was really nice. I didn't ache moving around the shop, my head didn't swim making decisions, and more.

Congratulations to you! Have a great time. Have a latte.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I kind of thought I wasn't the only one who experienced this. It just recently dawned on me how many times I did this to myself even though I PROMISED I wouldn't do it again! That Saturday morning thing was the thing that got me everytime. Yeah, sitting there with foils on my head wondering if I can make a bee line for the bathroom if I have to vomit. Sure don't miss that

My hangovers were getting worse and worse and the anxiety was unbearable. There's no way I can put myself through that again!
Old 07-14-2011, 04:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Oh yes... I've had hangovers often at the hairdresser the next day And having to look into that mirror... ugh!! I don't think I planned to "multi-task" but it just typically happened that way!
Old 07-14-2011, 04:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

As a male, I probably shouldn't even be in this thread.

But I am sitting here laughing.

I never knew you were all sitting in those hair salons hungover!!:rotfxko

-SD
Old 07-14-2011, 04:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SDSurfn View Post
As a male, I probably shouldn't even be in this thread.

But I am sitting here laughing.

I never knew you were all sitting in those hair salons hungover!!:rotfxko

-SD
Your reply made me laugh out loud It's kinda funny, isn't it? What's sad is all of us were probably gritting our teeth and trying to hide it
Old 07-14-2011, 05:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes, really it is kinda funny: "Multi-tasking!" :rotfxko

I am a male also.

For me, saturday morning just didn't exist. I got up for lunch.