Notices

Tonic and Seltzer water

Old 07-13-2011, 05:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tonic and Seltzer water

Has any body tried drinking tonic or seltzer water instead of alcohol. Does it help?
Old 07-13-2011, 05:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

No idea, I normally drink diet pepsi.

Help as far as what? Cravings?
Old 07-13-2011, 05:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes. I have heard the tonic. Sometimes helps because of the fizz and slight bitter taste.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Actually I think drinking any beverage OTHER than alcohol helps.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

Sometimes I put grapefruit juice into fizzy things just for kicks....
Old 07-13-2011, 06:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
ETA

I have been drinking seltzer water like crazy! My big craving time is after work and I have been trying to train myself to crave seltzer instead. It's kind of working.

The carbonation is enought to make it a bit more interesting than water but stll zero calories. I got a bag of limes and have been using 1/2 for juice to add.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Seems to work for me!
Old 07-13-2011, 06:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Carbonated flavored waters would be good for that. But I would think that eliminating cravings would be more successful than compromising them.
Personally, I'm into SoBe LifeWater. S'posed to be healthy and junk but doesn't make me explode.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
ETA

Originally Posted by EmeraldRose View Post
But I would think that eliminating cravings would be more successful than compromising them.
I agree with this in theory but I'm not sure I can eliminate "craving" in general. I like treats and rewards a lot and use them as motivation. I'm ok with soda water consumption - I never have drank enough water so it's healthy and even the health store made w/ spring water stuff is cheap.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I like it. Lemon, limes and grapefruit juice squeezed into is is great.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hmm..
if you did drink alcohol with these mixes I don't think it's a good idea. It's like pretending to have alcohol.
If you attend anything where alcohol is served...it's very easy to get the glasses switched.
Do smell your glass before tasteing..

For me....year round...Iced Tea with Lemon is my choice or plain Water. Carvonated beverages make my stomach a bit queasy.

Last edited by CarolD; 07-14-2011 at 05:05 PM.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
ETA

I did love to drink gin fizz (soda water and gin) but I'm not pretending to have alcohol. It makes me feel better to be allowed to keep some tastes and experiences I enjoyed prior. I like refreshing drinks with lime/lemon/mint etc.

I can see how it could be an issue - If you are trying to hold on to drinking - like drinking "near beer" or smoking cloves or pot to quit cigarettes - it could be a sign of not fully accepting that the drinking has to stop.

My problem was drinking alcohol - soda water as an alternative has been incredibly helpful.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I tried drinking the tonic water. It did seem to help. My mind was playing some weird games though. When I drank it it reminded me of alcohol because of the carbonation but I know its not. It seemed to take the edge off. Really strange I don't really know how to explain it.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
ETA

I think tonic has more tangy taste - I have stayed away from that since it did remind me too much of gin and tonics... plus it has calories.

I guess the real thing to watch for is if drinking tonic is a replacement for drinking or is it just prolonging your attachment to it. If it's the second you might want to switch to something else.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

There are a billion interesting things to drink... Explore, have fun, but if you drank gin and tonics I would avoid the tonic.

I drank wine soy love of tonic water wasn't risky:$
Old 07-14-2011, 08:46 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Personally, I am a HUGE fan of diet tonic. I mix a little NA bitters in it and cut it in half again with flat water. I am not a fan a really sweet drinks in general, and think it's niche and opportunity in the soft drink market. A spot between Gaterade and vitamin water.

Fee Brothers bitters is NA. My favorite is Cranberry. I also at times put an entire grapefruit, seeds and peal in a blender, then boil and strain for a delicious bitter concentrate! I buy, but do not love the SodaStream diet tonic mix which I cut with water.

I make a number of "Mocktails" with diet tonic and I don't get the association with alcoholic beverages I do with NA beer (NA beer really makes me crave baaaaad!)

Everyone is different. If you were a big Gin or vodka tonic drinker, then maybe you should avoid it.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:29 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

That was my poison!

I drank an ocean of gin and tonic. No way I could be satisfied with just tonic water.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:30 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PaleMale
Fee Brothers bitters is NA. My favorite is Cranberry. I also at times put an entire grapefruit, seeds and peal in a blender, then boil and strain for a delicious bitter concentrate! I buy, but do not love the SodaStream diet tonic mix which I cut with water.
This sounds like a great idea. I'll try this one. I've used a whole grapefruit's juice in club soda over ice... but it didn't have the punch I wanted. I'll try out your method
Old 04-12-2012, 05:13 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Tonic Water works for me. I drink about as much tonic water as I did alcohol. I think is purely psychological but it works and I am fighting off Malaria at the same time. (for those who don't know Tonic Water contains quinine an anti-malarial agent).