Notices

Documentary On Alcoholism

Old 07-13-2011, 05:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Documentary On Alcoholism

Hi there,

I'm just watching this documentary on alcoholism called 'Rain In My Heart'. I found the link for it in a thread here last night (which I subsequently can't find now) but I thought it might be helpful for those of you who like me are in early days of sobriety.

Beware it's quite graphic but it's really helped me.

YouTube - ‪Rain In My Heart (1 of 10)‬‏
Old 07-13-2011, 03:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I can't watch stuff like that but I know several members here have.
Thanks EIAS.

D
Old 07-13-2011, 08:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi elvis, when I was new here a memeber sent me the link to rain in my heart. It changed my view on alcoholism and changed my attitudes. I have watched it about 4 times and sometimes you need a reminder of the pain we all go through for this disease. This disease will kill you and am thankful I have seen the doco and changed my life for the better. I'm glad it has helped you to.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I too watched "Rain In My Heart" and related to so much of it, as my alcoholism had progressed to that point. It is an important documentary that every alcoholic, considering recovery should see.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Me too, I was blown away when somebody posted that and I found it only available via youtube.

Like Dee, I'm not really inclined to watch 'real life' stuff (big screen is ok, something about reality that creeps me out) but since it's about alcoholism I decided to force myself to sit through all 10 episodes and boy was it depressing, eye opening, and a strong reminder about how seriously deadly alcoholism is.

I'd also encourage anyone who is ok with that kind of stuff to watch the series, at least once.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

working up the nerve to watch it... i don't like reality tv at all, but this is different I'd say.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It's very hard hitting. I haven't watched the 'Interventionist' type shows but this is different I think to all that.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by michelle01 View Post
It's very hard hitting. I haven't watched the 'Interventionist' type shows but this is different I think to all that.
Yeah the most disturbing thing I think is how resigned the crew is to the "inevitability" of some of the cases. You feel helpless when watching.

It helped me to realize that there's nothing specially wrong with the users portrayed in the documentary. They've essentially been lured further down the path of destruction.

It brings home the fact that the more you continue to drink, the more your relationships become dysfunctional and the more you have to drink to numb your feelings about how things are going wrong.

When I seen it like this it was a bit of a wake up call.

It's true that as I've continued to drink I've accumulated a lot of emotional baggage in the same way. To continue on down that path would be insanity as it's never going to get better with a bottle. It will only end one way.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
"Rain in my Heart" isn't quite like "Intervention" - this is a real documentary. Brutal, though, not sure everyone will be able to stomach it. I won't divulge any of the content, but there was a line in there by the doctor about alcohol attacking everything in the body that isn't chrome plated, or something along those lines, which I thought was an appropriate way to describe why the patients were in the condition that they were.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

All I have to say is that could be me one day. Thanks for sharing.