Notices

My Intro

Old 07-12-2011, 11:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wink My Intro

Hi,

Thank you for being here, let alone opening my thread..

There are really no miracle cures for anything, however, There are tools that can help you overcome the challenges in getting there. Being here is one of them.....

Recovery means becoming someone entirely different from the person the addict knows himself to be. Perhaps that’s one of the reasons recovery is so scary for addicts to face.

"Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let the light in.”

Feel free to message me if you'd like

@nthony
Addict 29yrs
Clean and Sober 2yrs
Old 07-13-2011, 12:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Officially a welcome to SR Antohy.

I do see there are tools/skills that will free one from the hell addiction had become for me.

Thank Gawd for the many paths to recovery. It works if one workes it. Whatever works out.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Englishrose70

Wow R3conmarine, its really inspiring and encouraging to see that after 29 years of addiction you have been clean for 2!!

What was your poison alcohol, drugs or both? What was the final trigger that led you to make that "no more" decision?

I have been drinking wine heavily for 10 years progressing from 1 bottle a day to an average of 2 a day and easily more. I am only 5ft 4" and 116lb so thats alot for my size. For me it was coming out of denial and realising the culmination of physical, mental symptoms I was suffering along with unacceptable episodes of behaviour, guilt anxiety, deception and secrecy. Feeling a failure, a fraud and living a lie. A whole heap of stuff hit me in one wave after many moderate attempts to moderate my drinking.

Truth is I just dont think I can and I cant wait for the day when I make the choice will all surety that no wine tastes better than sobriety feels.

I am only on day 3 but every journey has to start with the first step forward.

Thank you for your post
Old 07-13-2011, 01:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Anthony

D
Old 07-13-2011, 01:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Englsihrose70, congarts in day 3.. Keep it sober, Keep it simple !!!!
Old 07-13-2011, 08:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome and thanks for posting.

Congrats on your two years of sobriety - and thanks for sharing that it IS possible to make addiction part of your past.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome. Congratulations on your clean time. I'm so glad you are here.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Anthony!
Old 07-13-2011, 08:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hello Anthony,
I am on day 5 and am encouraged by you...
Trish
Old 07-13-2011, 09:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Englishrose70 View Post
Wow R3conmarine, its really inspiring and encouraging to see that after 29 years of addiction you have been clean for 2!!

What was your poison alcohol, drugs or both? What was the final trigger that led you to make that "no more" decision?

I have been drinking wine heavily for 10 years progressing from 1 bottle a day to an average of 2 a day and easily more. I am only 5ft 4" and 116lb so thats alot for my size. For me it was coming out of denial and realising the culmination of physical, mental symptoms I was suffering along with unacceptable episodes of behaviour, guilt anxiety, deception and secrecy. Feeling a failure, a fraud and living a lie. A whole heap of stuff hit me in one wave after many moderate attempts to moderate my drinking.

Truth is I just dont think I can and I cant wait for the day when I make the choice will all surety that no wine tastes better than sobriety feels.

I am only on day 3 but every journey has to start with the first step forward.

Thank you for your post
My poison was primarily Narcotics-28 yrs, heavy use for 12 years due to spinal fusions (gave me an excuse to check out of reality). I'm an alcoholic as well. I had been drinking for 22 years. 18 years ago I quit due to being raised in an alcoholic/abusive home, I wanted more for my son. The final straw was overdose for the third time, this time in the presence of my 14yr old daughter (now 16). I was giving up on life. I was laid off after 17yrs, I'm a Veteran, suffer from Anxiety/Clinical depression and felt like a failure. A week before the OD I drank with my father since my wife left the house for a while. When I OD'd, I went to the emergency room, detox and then 28day rehab. I saw the pain I had caused, the visions of my childhood manifested in my home. I hate my disease, I thank God (my higher power) and others like me, that I am clean and sober today. I needed professional help, go to an AA meeting, be patient and give it a chance, we need each other to stay Sober/Clean. Thank you for your reply.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Wink

Originally Posted by trixie19 View Post
Hello Anthony,
I am on day 5 and am encouraged by you...
Trish
You inspire me!!!

Day 5, incredible!

I never truly tried to quit, wanted to but I was afraid of Reality. Do it minute by minute, hour by hour etc.... Personally, I had to isolate from the world for a while, everywhere I went I had to face reality. Now I enjoy the challenges.

When I registered here, one of the questions was What do you like listening to? My Reply: The birds sing in the morning, I made it through yesterday. I'm another day clean!

You can do it, We are what we think

Thank you

@nthony
Old 07-13-2011, 03:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Marine!
Welcome and congrats on hangin in there for two years. Retired military here, and a newly (9 Months) recovered alcoholic. ( I am sure you can guess which branch from my avatar, you can type slower for me )
I detoxed at the local VA hospital, and you are eligible for a lot of help from the VA but I'll bet you know that. If not PM me and I'll be happy to share. For all the Vets out there in despair, if you got an honorable and served the minimum of two years I think it is, you can take advantage of the VA programs for addictions too. And unless you are making tons of money it is no charge or small co-pay for scrips. I said no charge intenjtiopnally as it isn't free, many would never be able to pay the price of admission. Many did and aren't around to. Use it for them.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Anthony, and welcome!!
Old 07-14-2011, 04:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for your support...I am at the point now where I can't hardly stand feeling so physically sick. I've tried to work and end up at home. Not sure what I can do to start feeling better, and at the same time, that sick feeling gives me the reality of how much the meds had a grip on me.
I want to jump out of my skin...

Trish
Old 07-14-2011, 05:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome Anthony, glad to see you here! Congratulations on the 2 years.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:20 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Eternally Grateful 4/25/08

Welcome to SR Anthony and thanks for sharing your story. To both you and Itchy, It takes tremendous courage and sacrifice to serve our country and I am so happy to see you both embrace recovery with that same courage. Thanks again!

Originally Posted by trixie19 View Post
Thanks for your support...I am at the point now where I can't hardly stand feeling so physically sick. I've tried to work and end up at home. Not sure what I can do to start feeling better, and at the same time, that sick feeling gives me the reality of how much the meds had a grip on me.
I want to jump out of my skin...

Trish
Trish,
If you haven't already check out the Substance Abuse section of SR here Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information. You will find a lot of support there as well and I think you will be encouraged in where you are in your detox. Your physical symptoms should be improving very soon, so hang in there. And to you as well!