Notices

Stupid...

Old 07-12-2011, 07:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Stupid...

Before today, I hadn't drank for 4.5 months. Tonight I drank about 10 beers. I didn't do anything stupid (besides the drinking), I am just really disappointed in myself. I dont plan to drink again anytime soon after this. How have you guys dealt with a setback like this?
Old 07-12-2011, 07:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What made you drink?

Boredom?
Anxiety?

Anxiety would be my reason.

Kelly
Old 07-12-2011, 07:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Let me ask you a few questions, and I hope you can forgive me for being blunt.

Was it everything you expected, or did those ten beers not feel like the old days? Were you disappointed?

What is your plan for the future use of alcohol? Are you going to drink again in this lifetime, or are you not?

I'm a little concerned about your statement that you don't plan to drink again "anytime soon" - that sounds to me like you do plan to drink again.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thahdog View Post
How have you guys dealt with a setback like this?
Honestly? I picked myself up & started over. It wasn't fun, and I had to swallow a *lot* of pride... but staying drunk & berating myself over my relapse (or slip, whatever you want to call it) wasn't going to solve anything. You know that old saying "if at first you don't succeed... try, try again"? There's a lot of truth to it!
Old 07-12-2011, 08:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's always good to look at what happened and try and learn from that...

but it's equally important to look at whatever we've been doing so far, accept that we need to do more work, and look at what we can add to it.

glad you're back thahdog
D
Old 07-12-2011, 08:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Setbacks can happen for people in recovery....its not because of being stupid. You made progress before you can again.

Make what needed changes to insure a better stance in sobriety and onward you go to a better life free from alcohol.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thahdog View Post
I dont plan to drink again anytime soon after this.
Isn't that what you said 4.5 months ago? I point that out only to demonstrate that my best 'plans' and intentions to not drink again were of no use to me. I had to take action. For me, that was taking the 12 Steps of AA like my life depended on it.

Nothing changes if my actions don't change. After two years, maybe it's time to consider some different actions.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Wandering Student of Life

2-3 beers is (I guess) average for a night for a casual drinker, but 10 - that's your old habbits resurfacing. After a setback like that, I would've come here or gone to some kind of meeting So welcome "back"! I'm glad you came here and talked about it! As for dealing with it - that's up to you and what you want next. Do you want no alcohol, or just less alcohol in your life? Or maybe neither as you just don't know yet....
No matter what, do NOT beat yourself up over using. You're here now, the using has been done, and now you have a brand new day in front of you

Please take care, drink some fresh water or juice today and continue to visit this wonderful place.

Ja na,
Blessed be,
WW