Notices

42 days, can't tell how I'm doing

Old 07-12-2011, 07:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

42 days, can't tell how I'm doing

So, I make it through every day without alcohol, most days I don't think too much about it or make a big deal. I've now gone to plenty of events where there's alcohol without a big problem. So, from that perspective I suppose it's going OK.

On the flip side, I am moody and depressed a good deal of the time, fairly low energy and tired (I go to sleep most nights right after I put my kid to bed), and have a hard time getting excited about anything at all. I spent several hours yesterday trying to plan something fun to do for our family to do this weekend (we both have a free weekend, which is rare) and honestly, I couldn't come up with a single thing that I felt like doing.

I don't want to go back to drinking, I just wish I didn't feel so sad and bored. I guess I spent so much time looking forward to opportunities to drink that now I can't find any enthusiasm inside me for anything. Perhaps this is just what my new life is going to be like. :-(

Plus I am hungry all the time. I've always had to watch my weight and have already gained 10 pounds since I quit drinking, so I try not to substitute eating for drinking, but it's a drag to always be wanting food.

Feeling very sorry for myself today. Don't want to drink. Just feeling super down.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Daisy,

Keep looking for things that you would like to do. It's summer and being outside is a great way to enjoy a weekend. Many cities have free concerts and things planned for the summer months. Exercising can also help to kick-start your energy.

If the depression existed before you began drinking, it might be something to talk to your dr again, as medication might be a possibility.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ADaisyifyoudo View Post
So, I make it through every day without alcohol, most days I don't think too much about it or make a big deal. I've now gone to plenty of events where there's alcohol without a big problem. So, from that perspective I suppose it's going OK.

On the flip side, I am moody and depressed a good deal of the time, fairly low energy and tired (I go to sleep most nights right after I put my kid to bed), and have a hard time getting excited about anything at all. I spent several hours yesterday trying to plan something fun to do for our family to do this weekend (we both have a free weekend, which is rare) and honestly, I couldn't come up with a single thing that I felt like doing.

I don't want to go back to drinking, I just wish I didn't feel so sad and bored. I guess I spent so much time looking forward to opportunities to drink that now I can't find any enthusiasm inside me for anything. Perhaps this is just what my new life is going to be like. :-(

Plus I am hungry all the time. I've always had to watch my weight and have already gained 10 pounds since I quit drinking, so I try not to substitute eating for drinking, but it's a drag to always be wanting food.

Feeling very sorry for myself today. Don't want to drink. Just feeling super down.
So sorry you're feeling down... on a positive note about your hunger/eating... I've read that we drinkers are malnourished and that we may need to eat the heck out of some nutritious food to repair the damage we've done, on a cellular level... so allow yourself to eat more if you need to. Your internal organs may really need it! Weight can be dealt with later... I'm dealing with dropping a few lbs myself, and it's frustrating, but our organs come first
Old 07-12-2011, 07:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes as Anna said medication might be needed so go to your doctor and have a talk about it to him, you shouldn't be feeling like that all the time. The first couple of months can be a drag sometimes because your getting over cravings, getting to know the new you and finding motivation to do things can be hard.

I've found it good to really get involved in something you really like. I am a huge music fan and spend alot of time listening to it, going to gigs, buying cd's etc. Just throw yourself into something.

In regards to food the opposite has happened to me. I weighed in at 110kg at my heaviest because I was drinking too much beer and eating too much. I'm now around 103kg and I think if you feel hungry you should eat because it can trigger cravings and going back to alcohol sometimes. Maybe try something healthy (plenty of fruit and vegetables) won't put on too much weight.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi aDaisy

I think there's good advice here - if depression is a factor I encourage you to speak with your Dr.

For me though, I found life sober was pretty joyless in the beginning...I finally had a handle on the not drinking but I realised I needed to work on my life too....drinking had shrunk my world...I needed to widen it again...it took some work but I found joy again

Paradoxically it was service work - working and doing for others - that really helped me find myself and my meaning of life...and then joy...again

D
Old 07-12-2011, 09:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi Daisy - I didn't have any motivation or energy for 3-4 months.... at least not on a regular basis. I usually did better in the mornings, but I felt like a blob many, many days. I was taking an anti-depressant (thank goodness), or I could have easily gotten depressed about it. What kept me hopeful is that I saw a little progress day by day.

I've read that it takes up to a year to adjust, but I'd definitely talk to someone if I were you. No sense suffering through if you don't have to. Keep hanging in there.....
Old 07-12-2011, 09:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I try to get out of anything i can these days, a lot like you im not too interested in doing too much, even dodging work related stuff which worrys me.

I think its just too hot here in Georgia, personaly i look forward to the cooler months (i work outside ) Exersize and vitamins really help me.

But I think it may be normal to go through these ups and downs for a while...
Old 07-12-2011, 10:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This heat can be brutal !

I can't tell you how many people from up North have told me in the middle of a scorcher:

" Now I know why people down South move so slow "

LO, yea , we're not inherently shiftless
Old 07-13-2011, 02:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
instant

Hi Daisy
Sorry it is not going well, getting a check up sounds like a good idea. What did you enjoy when you were young or before the booze took hold of your brains pleasure system?
Old 07-13-2011, 02:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Daisy, I would not worry at all about eating too much and putting on weight. There are many ways to tackle it through Gym and suitable exercise. I have been going through the same since I stopped drinking few days ago. I eat twice as much I used to eat when I was drinking. I go to Gym everyday, do 20 minutes treadmill and 20 minutes of weights. I was told that by doing physical exercises, our body releases certain brain chemicals to improve the mood, tackle the stress and most important of all , to beat the depression. As many of them suggested , visiting doctor for depression is the best idea. However, please try any form of physical exercises, even if you have little energy and if you are able to do it physically. . It will get you some benefits for sure.