Notices

Help to say no.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help to say no.

Hi there.41 from Scotland. Been drinking far too much for years. Awaken every morning promising its over. By 19.00 talked myself into "one more night won't hurt". Just want the strength to say NO!
Old 07-11-2011, 11:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Rusty
Welcome

I think support is vital in helping us all find that inner strength to change our lives.
You'll find a lot of support here

have you looked at face to face support - like a recovery group (AA etc) as well?

D
Old 07-11-2011, 11:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Saying NO is the hardest part. Once you do, you will feel so much better. Best of luck.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I haven't D. Was hoping that I could be strong enough in myself. I won't rule it out
though
Old 07-11-2011, 11:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
In Recovery

Alcohol wins over Self Doubt every time.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Cunning, baffling, powerful. Alcohol plays with your mind. Your situation is not uncommon. You are not alone.

I wish I had some sage advice to help you. But it can take a spiritual awakening to overcome that voice that says one will be okay.

I struggled with your problem for many years. It took action to overcome it.
Maybe try a recovery program, or, come here when you want that first one.

Whatever path you choose, I wish you success.

Best to you.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome!

I'm glad you found us.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Eyes Open, No Fear

Originally Posted by bigguyslimm View Post
Saying NO is the hardest part. Once you do, you will feel so much better. Best of luck.
So true! I have found that telling myself, "well I wil just try to get through one day or week or month, then I can go back t o drinking" was MUCH harder than just deciding NO MORE! Then, the weight is off. the choice is made. Best of luck to you. stick around it really does help!
Old 07-12-2011, 09:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Try thinking about those urges to "use one more night" as a fire alarm going off in your head. If a fire alarm goes off you don't sit around contemplating it or decide to walk into the fire, you get your ass out. Look for safety in a friend, a non-using action, something--just cover your behind and heed the alarm.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
like a thunder bacon punch!

Sounds familiar, spent the last several years doing the "just one more night and start the new life tomorrow!" routine. The way I could put it away I'm just lucky I was able to live to see a tomorrow. Try to remember to thank the big man upstairs for not letting me die of alcohol poisoning or some other alcohol related accident in my professional career of heavyweight drinking.

Sadly there is no easy way to say no and walk away from it. If it was most of us would not be here right now and most AA meeting rooms and other support groups rooms would be empty. If this is something you really want then stick around, plenty of helpful people and advise here.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Failed once again. Wifes friend tried to OD last night so she said she could do with a drink. Ended up getting a six pack with her. I don't think she realises just how much I need to stop. I have told her over & over. Ah well. Try again tonight.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Not trying again is failure. You my friend are not your addiction. Keep making improvements from you experiences. Each time all things can get better.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hello Rusty,

It is really hard to say no, if our mind is programmed for many years of thinking that alcohol provides me relaxation, makes me more sociable and worst of all , I need only one or two drinks to feel better , that too, tonight only !!! I will be fine tomorrow without it .. Very Very familiar to all of us alcoholics who try to control it..

One thought helped me to say no to 1st drink..I read in one of the books the analogy of alcoholics with a fly in pitcher plant..The fly takes 1st sip of the juice produced by pitcher plant, loves the feeling and keeps sipping till the point it gets so heavy after drinking so much of juice, falls down to the bottom of the plant and becomes food for the plant..

Every time the 1st drink came on my way, i told myself " I am a fly hovering around the pitcher plant. If I take 1st drink, I am going to get heavier by 1 kg, then the 1st drink will make me drink more and I will get heavier by more and more kgs. The 1st drink will cause to get heavier by more than 100 KG and eventually I will fall in the bottom for pithier plant and become the food for the plant " This is what alcohol does to us. We become food for alcohol.

I will think that if my wife's friend wants to drink , let her drink . I do not need to drink to feel more sociable with her . I can be actually more sociable with her, if I do not drink. Because, I do not want to become heavy fly and food for pitcher plant.

This helps me in keeping away from the 1st drink. I hope it helps someway.

Newborn.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:18 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You'll find out how common your disease is, go to a meeting, can't hurt to try "just one"